Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #121
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

I sold it I think around the first of April...late March have to look.. A few weeks after that it dropped bad....I needed the cash for kids car
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #122
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

i dont belong to a local HOG chapter so i cant comment on that.....BUT i dont deny that HD or its dealers may project inclusivity(as i understand it HOG chapters are sponsored by bdealers)....I was defending HD RIDERS in general. SOME definitely project that attitude but in my experience most dont. Most times I participate in group rides they are informal or sponsored by ABATE. In my area they are generally primarily HD but have ample representation by other brands. Interestingly enough I saw a ride advertised in my local convenience store....showed up and was very politely told by a 20 something punk (on a BUELL for Chrissake) that Harleys werent welcome.....go figure. Assholes come in all ages and types but dont make broad assumptions based on limited experiences. Im not enthralled with some HD dealers and some of HD's marketing ploys......but I do take exception to broad characterizations of HD RIDERS as elitists and snobs.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #123
skeepee
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley stock down over 6%

'Zactly. That was my first thought when I read Yamaha's press release crowing about the MT-01 concept.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #124
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Only Buy American if it is as GOOD!!!

Thats fine...if you with your extensive experience feel that Hds are crap...dont buy one. I am very happy with the reliability of my 97 Geezer Glide and plan to buy a new one next year. It fits my needs...it may not fit yours but I dont understand why you and others feel the need to denigrate those of us that have different needs and tastes. I have helped my son buy both bikes he has owned; a Kawi ZX6R and his current Suzuki GSX 600. They suit him and Im tickled...I dont denigrate him or his preferences; my choices are just different--not wrong --just different.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #125
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Jets

Look up Joe Minton for good advice on how to clean it up without spending a pile of cash.

SE air cleaner kit

SE slip fit mufflers

'88 Sportster 1200 needle

Drill out the plug on the bottom of the carb and richen the idle mixture a quarter turn.

No more popping and a serious wake up call for your twin cam.

I'll send you a catalog with all the cool pirate gear.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #126
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Only Buy American if it is as GOOD!!!

I'd wait on buying a new Geezer Glide until they update the chassis like they just did to the Dyna. It has to be the next one for a freshening.

The Stereo in the '06 Glide is cool though. Longride and I just did a nice ride together and the XM radio feature is nice.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #127
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"What are you really buying with that money? Does the price equal the engineering, design, performance and value?"

Yup. Mine is worth 90% of what I paid for it 5 years later. What's yours worth?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #128
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

"Well they certainly act snotty. At least the ones around here. They don't wave. And if you stop next to them they even refuse to acknowledge your presence."

They probably just met you already.

"But the fact remains real Harley riders, that own just Harleys, and wear pots for helmets, are snotty without having any reason to be. "

You are a snotty prick. What's your reason?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #129
Neal
Founding Member

If you sold in early April you beat the Big drop,but it had already dropped about 6% from its years high. Plus it actually peaked in o3 or 04. about the time I sold. And I must admit,just like you it wasnt because Im smart but i needed cash for my daughter LOL. My basic point is that neither you or any other so called experts predicting big problems with HD have been yet proved correct. There sales figures are still phenomenal...when they dip significantly below 200000 you may be legitimately able to claim you made a reasonable prediction. A drop was inevitable...it didnt need a "prophet " to predict. I personally thought that sales would drop after the 2003 Centennial year,probably to around 200000 units ,which helped drive my decision to sell my stock. I was amazed by the incredible sales in 04 and 05. These sales were a "bubble"much like the stock bubble of the late 90's and what we are seeing now can be looked at as a "correction". Hopefully,this correction will cause HD to adjust their pricing and straighten out some dealers(I believe its a minority) bad attitudes . We shall see. Im real interested to see how far the sales figures will drop in 06 (if at all)
Old 10-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #130
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well since this might only happen once in your life, go for the most expensive bike with the highest resale value. Even if you don't like it, you can sell it and still have a lot more "bike cash" leftover!

If you buy a cheap Jap bike that you can only sell for half of what you paid for it you won't have enough to get something else if you don't like it and the wife ain't lettin' ya dip into the equity twice!