Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #91
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Would they do the same for you?

LOL. I check my pill case see if I missed some
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #92
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

89 posts so far, and I have yet to read one that says "I bought a Harley and it's terrible and overpriced and I hate it". Not one. So far, all the blowhards that have never owned or ridden a Harley around the block much less across the country, have told us all what they are like, and how 'inferior' they are. I especially like the ones about how Harley is so polarizing and why. It just fuggin cracks me up. With so may talking out their ass on this one, I fear Buzglyd is fighting a losing battle. No matter. He and I are motorcyclists that happen to own and ride other brands as well as Harleys, and I'm sure he is laughing at most of you as loudly as I am. Don't let me interrupt the hatefest though. Please continue because I couldn't buy this many laughs.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #93
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley stock down over 6%

I was helping a neighbor rebuild his shovel...for sh,,, and grins i checked at the HD dealer for some small parts. he actually did some cross checking to see if he could help...found one part!. got on phone with an old time dealer in Va,...they had the other parts!!!! he handed the phone to me and i sent a checkto the Va dealer who shipped the part to my door!!!!! Not shabby service. needed some parts for my 1982 yamaha YZ125....went to dealer. He laughed at me..."We dont stock parts earlier than 1991" says he. Wouldnt even cross check to see if more modern parts would work Moral? Dont asociate bad (or good) dealers with particular brands ......there are good and bad dealers of all brands. Shop around,find a good dealer....and support him.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #94
edward44
Founding Member

Well, I certainly want to admit that I paid $20k for a fifties cycle that leaks oil and vibrates like a dildo. Now would you?
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #95
bboule
Founding Member

Awfully defensive aren't you?

When a lot of people say they wouldn't/haven't bought a H-D it does mean something.

And a lot of us are not GPTB types. We're too young to have the gray hair.

H-D has got to do something to attract us. The guys who are firemen and police officers in town get a H-D even though they are younger (peer pressure from the department?), but everyone else is looking somewhere else.

Even if you want something different and don't want a "jap" bike, if you are interested in a modern bike as opposed to heritage, you gotta get past Triumph, Ducati, and BMW before you end up buying a H-D or Buell.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #96
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: You think new Harleys are going down in price?

No...HD will sell over 300000 units this calendar year. In 1985 they sold 36000. I expect a drop and a leveling off in the sub 300000unit a year range,but still plenty units to keep HD a profitable company. One thing Ive noticed;now that used HD prices are becoming more reasonable due to the large amount (more than 700000 in last 3 years alone!) of Hd's sold in last 10 years ,some of my old riding buddies who are getting back into it after raising their families are buying used rather than new. This will be a short time phenomena adversely affecting HD sales,but eventually the traditional ratio of used/new sales will be reestablished and Hd sales will stabilize. I wouldnt count HD out even though they do face significant challenges. One big advantage they have over the AMF years is that they have a loyal and competent workforce and they buid a good,reliable (if a little overpriced) product.Their traditional good marketing and management,hopefully coupled with a pricing strategy readjustment and adjustment of some dealers' attitudes will pull them through this period. Maybe a good time to consider buying HD stock. Note:who 10 years ago would have believed that HD would sell 300000 plus units a year and their stock would DROP? They are still an amazingly profitable company with a good P/E ratio
Old 10-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #97
sarnali
Founding Member

How about $12.5k for a comfortable bike that has exeptionaly good performance up to 100 or so. Handles very well within it's design parameters, doesn't leak oil, has absolutely top notch fit and finish with all castings beautifully polished and fitted. Excellent paint and detail work, comes with a full two year warranty and is imitated by almost every manufacturer going?

As far as vibrators and dildo, that would be your area wouldn't it?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #98
triumph900
Founding Member

"HD's are less "American" than a Victory"

Can you prove it? I've heard the same crap (and I sell Victory, and WAS a Victory owner). It's a nice Bullsh!t sales line, but probably without merit. There is no content sticker on bikes (like the ones on cars), so I'm curious where you got this data.

HD is and AMERICAN company. Based here, with factories, R&D, corporate offices here. The money spent on a HD "stays" here. Same for Victory/Polaris, another American company.

Honda's are assembled here, but the COMPANY in headquartred in Japan. THAT'S the difference.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #99
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Would they do the same for you?

S&#t, you are 64.8% right on the mark for the last couple of weeks. Yea, I do miss the "Bush is putting a designer drug in your evian that makes you love harleys."

So keep up the good work. I can't wait for a MO rehab clinic.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #100
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

Interestin...my coworker had Mercedes Benzes and BMW's (one for him one for wife) Had reliability issues with both Loved his Chevy truck so traded his BMW for a Caddy....pleased as punch. Looking to trade his wife's MB for an American car.......times are a changin folks. Dont make decisions based on the past;or you young guys that look with disdain at older folk and their outdated paradigms will be caught in your own outdated paradigms.