Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
mchlor
Founding Member

Default Re: Is a Sportster Too Small?

Harley davidson. Do they still make bikes? I think they went bankrupt in the 70's.
mchlor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
mghempel
Registered Member

Default Re: Is my Pe*** Too Small?

> I am a man and weigh about 225. Would the

>sportster 883 or 1200 be too small for me.

Subject line says it all. Sportster is a better bike than the Big Twins, but are you interested in riding or interested in compensating for physical shortcomings? Oh, sorry, if you were interested in riding, you wouldn't be asking about cruisers

mghempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I have the '02 883R and it's a little light on power.

two up is not an enjoyable experience.

Go with the 1200 if you MUST have a H-D.

allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

well, to qualify. the 883 is just my size.

I'm 5'8" and barely 150.

get the 1200 sport. change the shocks to the adjustable ones and you'll have a decent ride.. for a cruiser.

DON'T get the custom. 21" wheel is a hairy experience in those highway expansion grooves. !!!!

allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Go Ride one. Don't most Harley dealers let you ride them? I rode a Sporster 01 I think at a demo ride. I am 200 lbs 6'0. I had just had my Ninja for 9 months (my first bike) so it was kind of culture shock watching the Sportsters mirrors vibrate at idle (I think the new models have rubber mounts) . However once you got riding it smooths out and it's not a bad bike. Ashley makes a great point you can put all kinds on things on it to customize it to your build. Long term I think you would want the 1200. I was trying to con my wife into buying a 883 for her thinking I could ride it to the local cruiser bar with my brother-in-law (GPTB type).

Ashley is right Sportsters are considered chick bikes inside the brotherhood and indeed there is nothing sexier than seeing a lady in black leather on a Sportster.. But I think I have seen as many guys on them as women. They are just easier for women to handle than the bigger bikes. Looking back at my experience, I actually think it is very forgiving and might be the best thing for ya as a first street bike. My brother-in-law has a Shadow I thought was harder for me to handle than the Sportster. Could be the Sportster I rode I think had more standard like foot pegs less foot forward. Also, the sound of the Harley V-Twin is seductive... If you decide to trade up it should retain much of its value depending on what part of the country you are in.

Have fun!
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
eekadog
Founding Member

Default I'm bigger than you and I ride a sportster

I weigh 230 and I ride a Sporster....

If you want a large harley just get the large harley. motorcycles shouldn't be thought of as an investment.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm bigger than you and I ride a sportster

SPORTSTER....dammit...i wish we could edit our posts....
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
designeraccd
Founding Member

4 of my 5 H-Ds have been Sportsters. My current one, a 2004 1200R has easily become my personal favorite out of the 75 bikes I've owned. Many have been far faster (like my zx12r), better handling etc, but for all around grin producing fun nothing has surpassed my 1200R for me.

BTW I'm 6'2", @ 220#...the Corbin gunfighter saddle was a very worthwhile investment over the useless lump of foam harley laughvingly terms a saddle. DFO
Old 09-23-2005, 02:48 AM   #9
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Howzabout 6-5 and I ride a Buell.....(tube frame). Like riding a dirt bike on steroids. Sportster has 60" wheelbase-557 lbs. Dyna glide, 64" wheelbase-632lbs. They both shake like a cub scout @ Neverland. I'd buy the Sportster.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:53 AM   #10
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default ...shake like a cub scout @ Neverland...

Classic.

Where do I send the royalty checks as I use it.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote