Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 09-25-2005, 02:33 AM   #71
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: WAKE UP!

GUYS! Iv'e seen several comments here about the Sportster being anemic, better get a bigger more powerful bike, even litre sportbikes. ARE YOU KIDDIN ME? Let me spell it out for you. For a first street bike, a small to mid size bike helps the newbie gain priceless confidence and competance that is much more difficult to obtain when starting with much larger bikes. This is VERY IMPORTANT! I commonly see these folks that skipped this step riding their big lound thinking their cool bikes around just waiting for an accident. Put these folks in an emergency and they are road cheese.

I think it's personlly iresponsible to recommend large size/power bikes to a street newbie. Maybe that's how you call yourself learning. Let's give the other newbies a chance. Also realize dirt bike experience although good just does not make you a street wise competant rider. Try using the same braking techniques on street as you did on dirt or vise versa, not good. I alway recommend a riding class, and small to mid size bike for gaining valuable experience. Money wise get a slightly used Jap bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2005, 03:55 AM   #72
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Default Re: Is a Sportster Too Small?

The 883 sportster is a bit down on power. The 1200 sportster should be fine.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:36 AM   #73
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: How can a 883 be down on power?

The Aprilia is a two-stroke.

The Harley (and just about every road bike made today) is a four-stroke. Generally, a two-stroke will make roughly twice the HP of a four-stroke of equal displacement. But then you've got about a billion other factors that can make a difference, most important, engine tuning.

Other than both being V-twins, the HD motor and the RS250 have almost nothing in common.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:47 AM   #74
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: WAKE UP!

Right on.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:35 AM   #75
signit98
Registered Member

...you know what, screw the whole "chick bike" concept... I am 5'10", around #185 and I am riding a 1200S - 2001.

I frequently laugh at the "big boys" when riding with them, being that the word corner comes up and their bikes start dragging the complete household... while the sporty allows for a decent leaning angle and makes for a fun ride... just make sure you get some good tires... not those horrid 401's... you can only go straight on these.

The sporty is a solid, forgiving all around bike and I love mine... mind you that I have a Duc for going fast and low... yet, I always ride the sporty in a rather swift fashion and it gives me the versatility of moving along and carrying either a passenger or my camping gear or both... but that is only valid for the 1200... the 883's are a bit on the weak side.

Being that you come from a "mini bike", it'll be fun for you to just torque it out! But don't get blinded by the light, the 883 will probably feel sufficient during a test ride, but will get old pretty quick for a rider like you... considering statue and skills

Hope this helps

Ralf
signit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #76
Gluge
Registered Member

fine fine... you want a comparison bettween a 4-stroke? I only through on the RS250 a rather extreme example

how about a GS 500, it makes about 52hp, and I believe it's also air cooled.

I personaly have a EX500, I think it makes around 50 hpr, and it's plenty fast and I would never say it was slow. so I don't see how a 883cc bike would be down on power??
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:23 AM   #77
pdad13
Founding Member

Default What kind of statue does he have?

Oh, well, jeez, of course the 883 is too small if he's going to carry a statue.

Of course, depends on what kind of statue. David would be pretty tough, considering there's no way for it to hold on. The Lincoln Memorial is right out--definitely not enough torque.

Might be sufficient for a bust of Napoleon, though.

(Okay, I'm sorry...)
Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #78
caderider
Registered Member

Judge: Mr. Gambini, that is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought-out objection.

Gambini: Thank you, your honor.

Judge: Overruled.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #79
NLJ
Founding Member

Hyosung (Suzuki) get 74hp out of a 650v-twin for about a grand less than the sporty 883

NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote