Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #41
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re: How can a 883 be down on power?

I think most of the 250 twins make around that.

I know a aprilia RS250 makes that.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #42
Gluge
Registered Member

I'm running golden spectro right now. I think my saab is better for the enviroment than most SUV's

I have run castrol though.

seriously though, I put 2,000 miles on it a year tops, my commute is about 2 miles. The problem with the enviroment is because of all those freak'n people trying to commute 20 miles a day, sitting in traffic for an hour !
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #43
jibosch
Registered Member

Default Re: Is a Sportster Too Small?

A Sportster isn't too small if you fit it. It is a narrow frame, with a relatively-narrow seat [when compared to the bigger Harley's, at least]. If it fits you, and you like it, buy it. It is all a matter of personal choice. It is the best Sportster ever. But if you have a wide 'derrierre' and are buying it just to have a Harley... well, maybe you can get Preparation H as part of the deal!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #44
KLRer
Founding Member

No way are you too heavy for a Sportster at 225. 225 Hell, thats nothing nowdays. If you'd said 300, there might be an issue. Height can be as important a factor as weight, tall guys sometimes like to stretch out a little and feel a little cramped on a dinky little sportbike. The Sportsters definitely not a dinky bike. If youre 6'3 or more and really like to ride high up and stretch out, the only options seem to be dual purpose and adventure bikes. Ive got a 35" seat height on my KLR 650 and wouldnt mind 37" its like flying or hovering at least.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #45
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Maybe next you can get a Trabant. Or an Auto Union (I had a '57 Auto Union BTW, neat little car).
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

What do you know anyway?? LOL GPTB knucklehead!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 PM   #47
LWS66
Founding Member

There's more to a Sportster than your typical black leather fringe, engineer boots, tough ass pout, black t-shirts, 883 low performance dime a dozen, etc, etc,etc..... And there's more to Sportsters than the Evolution era ones. How many of you have ever seen or ridden an iron head stroker Sportster? Say in the range of 74" to 86" or even bigger? With massive porting, and big corncob cams.....Morris Magneto....Kickstart...? We're talking Drag Sportsters...Bet more than 90% of you never have, and 99% of the people riding "New" Sportsters would crumble into a heap of frazzled nerves from the sheer visciousness of said Sportster! Everyone always rates the Sportster in street terms, when they have a history of Drag racing....street dragging....

The difference between a chromed out fringed evolution Sportster and a low down Stroked Iron Head Sportster Drag/Street Mauler are completely two different worlds....Those who slam the Sportster obviously are refering to evolution era....and their mostly right, but to experience the other end of the spectrum is a must!
LWS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #48
TJKellogg
Registered Member

Because, a man doesn't need to compensate for anything with HP numbers. Besides, what good does a specific number, especially "at the crank" do for you, anyway? I'd bet money the old KZ650 I've been riding will whip the pants off most Sportsters, despite having (slightly) less power "at the crank".
TJKellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #49
mjs
Founding Member

TOO SMALL ? i remember the old days when bikes were really small

i have a 2005 1200r and it is a real hoot to ride but in it's new form with gas & oil a sportster weighs about 600 lbs

i guess that it's all relative

i heard about a guy who bought a boss hoss for his first bike, different strokes for different folks

mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #50
JACIII
Founding Member

Harley: They're ALL chick bikes. I see more women on big hogs than anything else these days including metrics.

Wanna go ridin' with the girls? Getcha a Harley and join the hen party.
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote