Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Is a Sportster Too Small? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/3038-sportster-too-small.html)

nkaliste 09-23-2005 08:42 AM

Re: Is a Sportster Too Small?

spending the morning trolling through the MO news discussions, mchlor? at least on this one you said SOMETHING, even if it is just to ***** people off.

yo-me-mo 09-23-2005 08:51 AM

I've ridden big twins and sportsters including 883's. At your weight I would suggest the 1200 or a dyna super glide. The only real advantage to the dyna is it's ok for 2 up. Check them both out. Good luck . When buying a bike you should consider what you want to do with it. Then make sure the bike is going to be able do those things.

Gluge 09-23-2005 09:11 AM

How can a 883 be down on power?

when a modern 250cc twin makes 60 hpr ?

are you guys serious a 883cc engine that only makes 45 hpr ?

my 66' saab has a 850cc that makes 59! and it's far from modern.

or maybe I'm confused and a 883 doesn't refer the the engine size?

bigjames 09-23-2005 09:18 AM

I've been away for a while in protest of the way some folks are handled by MO and it's readers. Happy to see nothing has changed. There are still a bunch of jack a$$es responding when they have limited or no knowledge about what someone asks, just there lame a$$, uninformed opinion. Guess that's why we refer to ourselves as MOrons...Saying that....

Go take a test ride on a NEW sportster. Stay away from the pre 2004 model unless you like paint shakers. If you like it, get one! If that dealer won't let you have a test ride, go to a different dealer, there are lots of them.

NEVER try to justify a bike purchase with anything but this simple test....If you ride it and like it, buy it. There is no logical reason to have a bike, so don't try to even attempt being rational about the processes or your end up with a Honda Pacific Coast every time....or a Vespa...

Hutchinator 09-23-2005 09:49 AM

I think you'd have more fun with the 1200 Sportster. IMHO, coming from dirt bikes, you'll probabliy like to feel the rush more than the 883 will give. As far as the bigger bikes, keep in mind that the weight of them midigates to larger engine somewhat. Not much gain.

Just another thought... Have you looked at the Victory bikes, like the 8-Ball (Sportester equivalent, I believe)? Might give you more choices if you're heart isn't set on HD.

Enjoy your bike, whichever you get.

eekadog 09-23-2005 10:06 AM

Re: How can a 883 be down on power?

what 250cc twin are you talking about?

sportbikebandit 09-23-2005 10:10 AM

"Have you looked at the Victory bikes, like the 8-Ball " Good idea Hutch. Pictures don't do em justice. The Vegas is beautiful. The Victory dealer said the 8 ball is popular, they didn't have one in stock sold them all.... Yep an 8 ball for KPaul...:)

mscuddy 09-23-2005 10:11 AM

Re: How can a 883 be down on power?

You have a two stroke Saab? Egads. Think of the environment!

Use Casrol R if you can find it. Or Blenzall.

AKDavis 09-23-2005 10:22 AM

If you want a cruiser, get a cruiser. If you want a sport bike, get a sport bike, but don't get a sportster. That's like the same stupid bike everyone gets, and it's for posers, and is weak.

HAHAHAHAH! Yeah I ride a Buell XB12R, but that's different all together.

EricZZR 09-23-2005 10:32 AM

I test rode a new Sportster a few months ago. I was completely unimpressed and could not wait to get off the thing. They are skinny. There is nothing there to press your knees against comfortably. It still vibrates too much despite the rubber mount. They don't have any power for the weight. They don't handle well. The only reason to buy one is that they are the most economical way to join the Harley club. I don't understand why anyone would buy one otherwise. I do think they are good looking bikes.

If you have to have a Harley, avoid the Sportster and move up to a Dyna.

I ride a BMW R1200RT.