Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley going legit? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/2989-harley-going-legit.html)

ducatirdr 08-23-2005 05:38 AM

Why now?

There has to be some law suit going on as I was in the local HD/Buell dealer and looked over the new bikes and asked about free flowing pipes and air box options for the new Dyna's (bobber).

"We don't have screaming eagle parts available for the new models."

"Oh they haven't come out with them yet?"

"No we aren't going to make them any longer"

"Serious?"

"Yep"

Of course after market will be happy with this as now every harley rider will now line up at their door.

My guess; HD's LAWYERS found out that "Off road only" didn't keep them out of court.

acecycleins 08-23-2005 06:06 AM

Re: Hey,hey, 1st Post!!!

BUB pipes or Vance & Hines. Both are baffled and sound great. They have a wide enough selection for your motoring enjoyment.

Buzglyd 08-23-2005 06:16 AM

Re: Why now?

I suppose if someone gets a noise ticket from the police and then says, "I bought these pipes right out of the H-D catalog" they might try to get some damages from the MOCO.

Plus I think H-D is just trying to go the corporate responibilty route consider so many jokers are riding around in circles in tourist areas setting of car alarms.

ikonoklass 08-23-2005 06:21 AM

Re: Harley going legit?

It will be interesting to see, when this new motorcycle accident study gets published, just how over-represented H-D is in terms of acidents and fatalities. Or maybe I'm wrong and it'll be the sportbike squids getting killed.

bigredraider 08-23-2005 06:22 AM

If I am not mistaken, HD has a separate catalog for its SE P & A. At least it did for 2005.

bbtowns 08-23-2005 06:25 AM

Everything in that article is fantastic, quiet pipes save motorcycling. But Harley leading the way on this issue is a bit of a stretch. It ain't a new issue, I've heard it debated for 25 years. Let's just say they're coming around.

Hutchinator 08-23-2005 06:57 AM

So does this mean they have no performance increase parts for thier new bikes at all, or that the increases are much milder?

Tigercub 08-23-2005 07:34 AM

Re: Hey,hey, 1st Post!!!

The nice thing about Harley's is that you can usually find a way to rig up something that will work without buying more parts. I'd be surprised if you can't pull off the mufflers and knock out a larger hole through the center. My old FLH pipes had two washers welded into each end with a tiny hole in them. It was easy to punch that hole larger and note the increase in sound, which never got annoying. I finally, knocked-out both washers so they were straight-through. Even then they were quieter than most aftermarket pipes. Since, I have a two into one set-up on the FL I ended up putting back one washer with 3/8 hole in it on the right side muffler and left the left side muffler completely open. It's a bit complicated, but the idea is to use the entire volume of the headers and mufflers as HD intended to pull gases out with enough back pressure for cylinder scavenging. The bike makes a nice throaty sound without being offensive and works well with the cam and carb. I didn't make this up myself, I followed Joe Minton's recomendations for cam, carb and pipes. I replaced the stock cam with a hotter cam a few years ago, but just recently went back to a milder Andrews cam to improve low-end torque. The motor is still only 80ci, but runs really sweet.

Buzglyd 08-23-2005 07:40 AM

I think they send out a supplement later in the year but the big catalog always had the "off road" parts in it.

Tigercub 08-23-2005 07:40 AM

I was shocked, back in the early '90's to find the shop I bought my Harley from would put on aftermarket cam and pipes before you picked up your new bike. I suspect there were a number of other dealerships willing to do the same thing. Maybe the only way to stop it was to not make those parts available in the first place. It's one thing to modify your own bike after you bought it, or to have a local shop modify it for you, but to have an HD dealership modify it before you bought it new seemed like really flaunting the law.