Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-28-2001, 08:07 AM   #1
canucksvt
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D Restructuring Superbike Program

Whoo hoo. First post. I think that it is a waste of talent to have Pascal Picotte and Mike Smith ride this machine. Harley Davidson has had 7 years to get this bike to work, and has failed. Meanwhile Ducati, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki have all had their piece of the top step of the box. Even Aprilia in WSBK has had success in only their second year! I think Harley Davidson should just pull the plug on this stillborn project. Time for a clean sheeet redesign. Everytime the VR-1000 has a power and torque improvement so does every other manufacturer's machine. As far as internal engineering capabilities go... when did Cosworth and Ford become internal??? Outside of Ford and HD having the same year of birth (1903) why else would Ford have signed on with some loser organization other than for advertising exposure? After they both celebrate their 100th year, this partnership will end. Harley claims that they do not have information from European and Asian racing series for developmental work on the VR project but that kind of argument does not hold water as far as Aprilia is concerned. Harley is going to disappoint as usual this year, and I will be the first to clap when they do.
canucksvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2001, 09:29 AM   #2
Mutt
Founding Member

Agreed, Harley needs a clean-sheet program. They seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. It has to be embarrassing for them, especially with unlimited resources like Ford Cosworth and Porsche. They need to shoot that old VR dog and get a pup. But, like Harley owners themselves, they just can't let go of the past and move on to the future. They'll be contenders if they want it bad enough. I will cheer the loudest when they put it on the podium. Pascal deserves it for his patience.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 09:33 AM   #3
PartyAnimal018
Founding Member

Default H-D Restructuring Superbike Program

I'd like to seen H-D SBK street version of the bike!
PartyAnimal018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 09:42 AM   #4
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Go to Poland

Where H-D sold a street version to homologate for Superbike racing back in '94. (I think) They were priced at around $50,000.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 02:01 PM   #5
blademan
Founding Member

Ha-ha, Lol, LMAO. Damn this is funny. Every time I see a Harley article about their racing program, I just laugh. It's funny that they are still trying. Well, the engineers of the VR1000 will do better at their next job. Can't wait for WSB2k1 and Grand Prix 2k1 to start.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 04:06 PM   #6
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Go to Poland

noise and emissions requirement leniency (especially the noise). Didn't have to spend the money to build a bike street legal in the US.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 05:03 PM   #7
redvtr
Founding Member

wOW, i DONT NOW WHAT TO SAY.......
redvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 06:38 PM   #8
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Ummmm... Cosworth Fords have more victories in Formula One than ANY other manufacturer. I'm not a fan of HD and barely a fan of Ford, but facts is facts, as they say.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:55 PM   #9
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Woah!!!! Don't get over-zealous! I'm no huge Ford fan either but damned if I don't know my history. Ford not only has a proud Formula 1 history but also a LEGACY at LeMans. Not to mention the AC Corbra. And although I wasn't even alive in the late 60's early 70's, just go to any vintage race to see how many Mustangs are on the grids. There's that many because EVERYONE was racing them and EVERYONE still make parts for them. Let's keep Ford out of this little argument, eh?
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 10:27 PM   #10
Pacer
Founding Member

They don't need Japan, they have the Germans, atleast for the motor. Maybe they should ask Japan for some advice on how to build the rest of the bike.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote