Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #31
billhawley
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Back in Court

Fudiciary shmoodishiary. Being careful here to protect their intellectual property, and prevent becoming a defendant, here's my opinion:

If that were true, they'd simply hire engineers and concentrate on building true "benchmark level" motorcycles instead of marketing H-D(tm) badged bags of coffee, diapers, mugs, and pool tables.

What's likely happening here is they want to insure they're monopolizing the very profitable aftermarket sales of air cooled performance parts for the next 5-10 years. This, should help keep them solvent until they can get a cooperative Japanese or German firm to design an engine that "The Faithful" may actually buy (and will meet EPA requirements for 2010 and beyond -- which the "Twin Cam(tm)" surely won't).

The V-Rod(tm) hasn't been the answer for The Motor Company(tm).

How many V-Rods(tm) currently get traded in for an "old school" H-D(tm) lump when the owner finds out the engine has to come out for the first major maintenance service of the top end?
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #32
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Instead of sueing S&S, and Delkron Harley should by the rights to their parts, as they seem to be of much better quality than HD's. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #33
smithrob75
Founding Member

Probably true, but I admit a 1600-1800cc V-Rod engine would be cool.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:23 AM   #34
maxriderdon
Founding Member

So the V-Rod motor is all you know that might be made elsewhere? Who has made the carbs for Harley for years? Does Mikuni ring a bell? The same company that builds the carbs on my Intruder.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #35
triumph900
Founding Member

S&S is now working with Victory on performance products. Wonder if that has anything to do with HD's lawsuit........???
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #36
Grover
Founding Member

It's a carburetor! Big deal. You can't possibly expect a company making a product as complex as a motorcycle to design, fabricate and assemble every single component they need. I bet even Holley and Walbro have parts inside their carburetors that are made or assembled overseas. And while we're at it, I wonder where the aluminum, brass and steel that goes into those carburetors came from. He!!, if it wasn't hauled out of an American mine by an American dump truck rolling on American tires then by gosh it must not be American. "Made in the USA" to me means "put together in the USA with mostly USA made parts." If you want to start down the slippery slope and suggest that every component needs to be American, fine. Just give me one example of a consumer product with more than 100 parts that qualifies as "Made in the USA" under your apparent definition.

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #37
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Carbs are big deals unless you like sitting side the road playing with adjustments begging the thing to crank! Hmmm, In your words, overseas parts, and assemblies put on Harleys, American steel used to make metric bikes. Sounds like a name doesnÂ’t mean much, does it? Ride what you want but don't be one of those pretending your patriotic for buying a Harley, and metric riders are not.