Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Back in Court

I'm wondering why "built on the backs of American wallets" is a problem. Harley and every other corporation in the world exists to sell you a product. If you like, want or need the product and agree to the price you make a purchase and hopefully go away smiling.....If you don't want or need the product or agree to the price you shop somewhere else.

I agree, waving the flag while half your products are imported is a bit base, but again, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Harley made its way to the top of the heap the same way every other successful corporation did, by out manuvering and out lasting their compettion.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #22
Grover
Founding Member

Well lets see, the "big twin" engines, including most of the major components thereof (crankcases, cylinders, crankshafts, pistons, etc.) are all made and assembled in Milwaukee. The fiberglass items (saddlebags, fairings and such) are also made in Wisconsin. Baggers, Softails and Dynas, including the frames, tanks and other major components thereof are all made and assembled in York Pennsylvania. Sportsters and their major components are all made and assembled in Kansas City, as are the V-rod and its frame and fairings. The only thing I'm not sure about is the V-rod engine, which might actually be made and assembled in Germany.

Sure the accessories come from overseas, as does most of the clothing, I'd imagine, but so what? I'd much rather they focus on building the bikes here in America while out-sourcing the other stuff than get all caught up in trying to produce every chrome trinket and baby bib they sell on their own.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #23
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: But WHAT patents?

Do a patent search on the USPTO website sometime. The big 4 metrics do do it, extensively.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #24
Neal
Founding Member

What did Malcolm forbes have to do with HD's resurgence?
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #25
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: But WHAT patents?

The Twin Cam 88 is the first big twin engine to be a "new" engine since the 1936 knuckle.There is almost no interchangeability with previous motors and there were several new patents which are a long way from expiring.I assume the suit addresses these.Maybe I read the article wrong,but I interpreted that HD was suing regarding the Twin Cam and not parts and replicas of Shovel and the Evolution motor that most clone manufacturers use.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #26
wilro09
Registered Member

They did it by buying off some politicians and limiting the bikes that could be imported, so if you wanted something bigger than 700cc you had to go to "the motor company".
wilro09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #27
tomk2
Founding Member

Harley Davidson managment has a fiduciary responsibility to do everything legally possible to maximize shareholder value.

End of story.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #28
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Tell me about it

I had a copy-editor who had worked for New York Newsday, and she never gave me the grief that you get around here.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #29
Iman01
Founding Member

I am pretty sure every company that makes aftermarket replacement parts has to get approval from the orignal manufacturer/designer. I think I heard that regarding why you can't find aftermarket parts for cadillacs or something.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #30
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Harley-Davidson Sues Brother

good PR.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote