Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson Back in Court (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/2812-harley-davidson-back-court.html)

maxriderdon 05-27-2005 05:19 AM

Re: Harley-Davidson Back in Court

"American Motor Company" which for years now can no longer claim "Made in USA", but a recent look at a local HD store I found USA by the company name on the tank. What that really means is USA division of HD, not made in USA. I'm sure it fools many though. Also there at the "American Motor Company" store, I noticed many chrome add ons and accessories made in Taiwan and China.

longride 05-27-2005 05:53 AM

Re: Need to unload some unsold bikes

Or maybe they just want people to stop copying, and selling, the motors they spent the money developing, and own the patent rights to.

pdad13 05-27-2005 05:55 AM

Don't misunderstand me. I've always wondered how the Evo/Big-Twin clone manufacturers and H-D have coexisted. I figured it was mutually beneficial to both parties. I sense that now H-D is starting to feel the whole small manufacturer/custom cadre inching in on their business, so they're taking action.

In the meantime, they're buying/financing race engines (based on the basic H-D design) from the same third party supplier that they're suing and tagging them as H-Ds and Buells. Don't you see a bit of a mixed message here?

If S&S had a licencing agreement that they're not living up to, I could understand a bit more. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Fenton 05-27-2005 05:56 AM

This won't lead to a Goldwing chapter being stripped of their right to wear black leather vests, will it?

jungkvist 05-27-2005 05:59 AM

Harley DavidsonÂ…True American Iron-y

CLASS: PR. 101

TOPIC: Chutzpah

MATERIAL: Harley Davidson

SPECIFICS: Companies position on previous technological advancements, and current statements of self-aggrandizement and delusion.

HarleyÂ’s got some big balls! In the past thirty-years, Harleys total development of new technology would amount to a slow-month in Japan. And, having a company representative crowing about it borders on downright surreal. Considering you would be hard-pressed to find anything on one of todayÂ’s Japanese bikes that was around 15 years ago, HarleyÂ’s statement about carrying-over only a hand-full of engine parts, from a previous engne, is blatantly silly!

After this, IÂ’d hope that S&S has the good sense to move-on and strike-out on their own, leaving Harley and itÂ’s "advanced" technology behind.

jungkvist 05-27-2005 06:05 AM

Yeah! Yeah! I KNOW!

I blew the possessive on Company. So, shoot me!

jungkvist 05-27-2005 06:22 AM

Makes Sense to Me?

I'm thinking about developing a radical new idea, a Bi-Plane. Anyone know if the Curtis Corporation is still around and inforcing thier patents?

:-)

cptaebphd 05-27-2005 06:34 AM

Overhead deep in the bowels of HD: "The stock just took a dump!!! What the hell are we paying you lawyers for?? Do something!!"

This is probably just the opening savlo of HD's operation to get a kung-fu grip on the market. Hello 1984!!

Can't wait to see the 2007 top-of-the-line Star 700cc cruiser.

mikenomad 05-27-2005 06:39 AM

For every motor vehicle manufacturer, there are companies making aftermarket replacement and performance-improvement parts.

S&S has been making aftermarket parts for Harley engines for decades without Harley making a peep.

Now that H-D is expanding its line of performance-upgrade parts, it's trying to eliminate any competitors.

sarnali 05-27-2005 06:40 AM

Re: Yeah! Yeah! I KNOW!

Sic 'im, Eddie