Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-27-2005, 07:50 AM   #61
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley's changing customer base and the motorcycle in US culture...

MY definition is the same as the FTC's definition.

"

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

"

Older Harley's could claim made in America, but no more. Also take a good look at those official Harley doo dads hanging up at your local Harley store. Don't be so shocked, it's all about money. Sad!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #62
Fenton
Founding Member

Don't exclude the Starbucks cruiser clan.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #63
v4bryan
Registered Member

Entirely out of curiosity, what is the "Taco Bell Sportbike Crowd"? Is this to squidly stereotypes what the "Arm Chap" crowd is to cruisers (that is to say, at least partially based on reality)?

Bryan...trying to broaden my horizons, eh?...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #64
piinob
Founding Member

I got it for 12,995. It had 16000 miles, and a lot of extra chrome pieces. The local dealership was having a spring sale to clear out their trade ins. Other than this one, in the last four years all the DWG's around here were 16k also. I have been very pleased with it after the first year. I WILL NOT go back to that dealership. In fact I am thinking of trying to get a movement of some sort together to lobby for some body to force dealerships of all kinds to clean up their act.

Just my humble opinion.....
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 AM   #65
tumbler
Founding Member

Yes.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:50 AM   #66
James_Brown
Registered Member

I am glad to see you relying upon your government agencies.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:24 AM   #67
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Well ok, so what's your definition? Something you made up? Why not just go down to your local Harley dealer and see if you can get a straight forward answer as to what percentage is made elsewhere. Good luck!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #68
James_Brown
Registered Member

Hey, I'm no Harley defender or even much of a fan, but in this day and age I'm willing to accept a definition that is less than "all or virtually all". My point is that the definition Commerce is using is probably more a reflection of political wrangling than it is of rational thought. I have no problem with you citing what Commerce says, however, to imply that it's a good definition because a bureacracy says so is specious.

My Ducati says "Made in Italy". Maybe I'll check with the Ministry of Trade (or whatever the relevant Italian agency is properly referred to as) in Italy and see what they have to say on the subject of national origin.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #69
MikeM132
Founding Member

Most nations have criteria for different products, and this FTC ruling has been in place for many years. There are all sorts of permutations of "Made in USA" also. I don't know of any vehicle that can claim "Made in USA" by FTC rulings. Honda used to, but I believe they were ordered to stop (some of their Shadow line used to have "Made in USA" on the seat). You really can't have ANY foreign parts to use the simple "Made in USA" tag. There is nothing wrong with this, but there is also nothing wrong with H-D not having 100% US content, since nobody else does, either. They are about as American Made as you can be in today's market (although Victory claims to have a higher US content than H-D, but that's just their claim).

FWIW, my Yamaha says "Made in Japan". I have wondered just how much of this bike is really Japanese, and how much comes from China, etc.. I'm sure they have some kind of rule in Japan but I have no idea what it is.
MikeM132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:47 AM   #70
MikeM132
Founding Member

I agree totally. I have warned some folks about expecting their expensive new Harley to be a great investment, holding 100% of its value forever. You might be surprised how many people buy a bike like this with this expectation. H-D is acutely aware that the main reason their used bike value is so high (not 100% of the new price, but still very high) is because of large demand for bikes in general and LIMITED NEW SUPPLY AVAILABILITY!! When new bikes are readily available, the whole used market comes way down. When that happens, H-D dealers can no longer assert theri 25,000 bikes will hold all their value allowing you to "ride free" (and this is a quote from at least 2 dealers I talked to about a bike). At that point, H-D will re-enter the real world of vehicle pricing, with discounting of suggested retaill, etc.. They are not there yet, and are reducing production of new bikes in order to keep the dealers free of overstocks on new bikes, which would precipitate the whole retail/resale price collapse. I don't think H-D can hold this thing up forever, but they are going to try to keep it aloft as long as possible.
MikeM132 is offline   Reply With Quote