Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #31
Randigger
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley's changing customer base and the motorcycle in US culture...

I'm a Boomer (55) and I have a Sportster 883.

Believe me, I don't have anything to prove in life nor do I aspire to be anybody other than who I am...I just like to ride the darn thing. It's like having a boat in my garage. If there's someone to ride with, great. If not, I enjoy it just as much and, while shifting to my heart's content on back roads, I wave to any other motorcycles I see because I think only if you ride can you understand the joy of what I'm doing...feeling alive.
Randigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #32
gforces
Founding Member

Default Aren't they just doing what they always do?

I think they're just lying and using this as an excuse to lower production and reduce some costs. When demand turns out to be higher than expected--whoops! Looky looky, there isn't enough product to fill demand, right? Convenient enough. Value is high again.

I also believe the writing is on the wall. Eventually, all the people that fell in love with that tough guy outlaw biker image will die off or get too old to ride, and you'll be left with those whose first fell in love with sportbikes, not easy riders. However, that time could be a long ways off--when was 'easy rider' in theaters?

gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #33
smithrob75
Founding Member

Amen, that's what I'm talking about. I wish there were more like you. Just as I wish there were more sport enthusiasts and not squids. I run into some cool people from time to time, usually far,far from the city.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #34
gforces
Founding Member

I think they're just tired of their boring, hum-drum, lives--and HD provides something different and romantic. It gives them a means to get outside, commune with others in a festive setting, and show off their chromed out possessions, all at the same time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

God forbid they take up hiking or something physical. You can park your big fat arse on the cushy seat and get around outside and the only sweat you'll break is because of the black leather vest and chaps absorbing the summer heat. It's kinda like a motorized wheelchair that you can take on the freeway.

I like Buells, but since hearing rumors of Erik Buell using the V-rod motor in his next bike, I think I'll wait.

gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #35
edward44
Founding Member

Harley may be heading for a Cadillac moment that occures when the brand base enters the nursing home. Have you ever seen a young guy on a Harley? I wandered into a dealership to look at a Firebolt(they didn't have any) and what I found was a trailer trash boutique with gals sashaying around in retro fifties poor white trash gear. The only thing different was the price tags. Not for the poor! All representive of too much disposable income but with peak oil production here the bubble may burst and the Von Dutch/Harley/NASCAR wretched excess bubble will pop.

That's all I have to say.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #36
iamz
Founding Member

Default Fashion police?

I find it humorous that you guys actually care about what other bikers wear while riding.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

They do tend to shrink over time....

Actually I think it's good news for po'boys like us...When all the instant outlaws start unloading "that motorcycle you just had to have" for pennies on the dollar we'll be able to snatch up our choice of Lowriders or Super glides..........

.Pretty cool huh?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #38
anrajala
Founding Member

Lets face the facts:

1. HD is not in a crisis

2. They need sporty models like they need a hole in the head

3. What they need is a big V-2, they are being whipped in the power and torque department

4. At least in Europe you pay less for an old HD than new

5. All the sold HDs will be on road forever, but that imminent 2nd hand glut will be balanced out by the brand/fashion oriented buyers - and we all know there are lots of them

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #39
eekadog
Founding Member

i thought we covered this one thread ago...when you made the same post...this post is recyclable like your motorcycle.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #40
eekadog
Founding Member

when i'm not doing a valve adjustment on my bike?
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote