Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #21
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley's changing customer base and the motorcycle in US culture...

If you pay the same price for a 5 year old Harley as you can get a new one for, you're a true moron. That's not value, just a lot of hype and supidity on the part of people buying used Harley's. Just like everything else the bottom will fall out. You can't sell 250,000 bikes a year and expect that they'll never depriciate. It's simple economics, soon now that demand is met a lot of people that bought Harleys because of TV shows, midlife crisis, etc will sell them and cause an overabundance in the used market driving prices down. It may take a few years, may not, but it will happen.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Why can't the Shovel market collapse? I would like to add a couple more for about 600 bucks a copy. Can't you do anything about this?? LOL
Old 04-26-2005, 10:43 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

What ever happened to riding just to ride, riding for fun and not caring what everyone thought.

Good question. I seldom ride with groups but when I do it's as ecletic a group as you can find. HD's, BMWs, UJMs.. anything. I just don't get this "us vs them" attitude. It used to be just an element of the HD guys and some of the BMW guys but now many of the squids are at least as bad.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd be satisfied just to go back to the $2000 for a basketcase era. You need at least three Shovels just to be sure that one is running.

Any day now!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

I hope you don't mean that the power rangers don't look equally stupid. How about the current supersport styling rage in Salt Lake? Armored m/c jacket, levis, tennis shoes and a freaking ballcap. I swear. Most of the guys I see on supersports around town are wearing ballcaps. When the weather warms up they'll change to T-shirts and flipflops again I'll bet.

And don't knock fringed jackets. I've still got a suede one around from the old Neil Young Era. It seems to have shrunk though.....
Old 04-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Value is determined only by what someone is willing to pay for something. That is it's true value whether we like it or not. Used HDs are worth the same as new ones because enough idiots are willing to pay the price. Just because they are idiots doesn't change the fact that the bike still have that value.

After all, isn't the price of just about everything determined by the largest mass of consumer suckers available? Look what new trucks cost now. Sheesh. You can't even get a basic work truck any more. They're all loaded to the gills.

Like I said. I like HDs and I'm still waiting for the used market to collapse..... been waiting about 15 years now.... getting cobwebs.....
Old 04-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #27
smithrob75
Founding Member

I never like riding with other people. I like going where I want to and doing everything on my own terms. Sometimes I just get urge to ride somewhere I haven't been. I'll get up early and just head in one direction. Probably not a good thing as people don't know where I'm at and I don't have a cell phone (something else I refuse to own)
Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #28
torrnado
Founding Member

i have never understood the attraction to harleys, particularly after the big four japanese manufacturers started making cruisers or so-called 'harley-compatibles'.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #29
v4bryan
Registered Member

I don't consider it an "us vs. them" scenario, Seruzawa-it just seems that there are two motorcycle paces: cruisers, and everything else. By the very nature of their design parameters cruisers bring about a more "relaxed" riding pace-or the other bikes are forced into a more agressive one (is the glass half empty, or half full?). Is it HD's fault for not producing motorcycles that are technologically au courrant, or is it the Big 4's fault for giving bikes that can only be truly "wrung out" on a track?

I don't typically ride much w/ cruisers anymore-but it has nothing to do with a superiour attitude...I just have different objectives when I ride than many of the cruisers do.

Bryan...and I still wave at everybody I see...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #30
smithrob75
Founding Member

Then you just don't "get it" or "it's a Harley thing, you wouldn't understand" Choose the cliche.. That's okay though, I never understood it either. I don't even think the Harley guys do. I fact I don't think anyone really even knows what "it" is. Perhaps it's just showing that you have a lot of money to spend or that you have control over your household and buying what you darn well please. Perhaps the world will never know. I think an oompa-loompa song about RUBS and Squids would be pretty funny