Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #31
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson pulling strings in California

I don't know if you took your test in California, but it's a total joke. Going in a circle at 5 mph could be done by a well-trained monkey.

Any type of training H-D is doing has to be better than what the state requires.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #32
cfc
Registered Member

Default Driving school stories

http://search.canoe.ca/search?lang=e...iving%20school
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #33
Badkat
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D snuggling up to MSF in California

Better program by far. I also know that MSF has threatened, but nothing legal has been filed at this time.

I believe Team Oregon developed their program in conjunction with Oregon State University.

I will refrain from commenting on the D.H. articles, but I have been following what W.M. has written.

\'03tuono;7/11KAT;IBA#10456
Badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #34
samanda
Founding Member

What is it with Californians? Why do you trust the government so much? Why should someone who might hate motorcycles and maybe even believe they should be banned outright be forced at the end of a gun (think i'm exaggerating, try not paying your taxes) to pay for your rider training? What makes you so skeptical when a business tries to better serve its customers and/or attract new ones?

I took the MSF course in Texas, where I live. I paid the full $160 to ride around in a parking lot for a full weekend on Kawasaki Elminiator 125's. Had I known the Harley dealership has the same course on comparably grown-up sized bikes, I'd have taken it there. The course did exempt me from the riding portion of the state licensing test, which is fine considering the bulk of that test is based on following traffic laws and not on riding safely or proficiently. I will say this for the course. My wife, who had never ridden a motorcycle going into the course, got her first bike (a Yamaha V-Star 650) the week after taking the class and is now a safe, confident rider modulo some experience issues (like remembering what gear you're in or to let the clutch drag a bit more).

The course cost less than our helmets, which by the standards of the Democratic People's Republic of California respondents to this post should have been subsidized with tax dollars too, I'm sure. You crazy commies...If you want nice stuff and useful knowledge, do what the the rest of the free world does and get up off your lazy butts, get a job, and pay for it yourself.
samanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Hey, not all of us crazy Kalifornians are lazy commie pinkos.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Okay then. All you Kalifornians except Buz get off your butts and pay for it yourselves!

Old 04-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #37
tomk2
Founding Member

Steve, there is no one on this board more suspicious or cynical about corporate America than I am... and I'm tellin ya you're seeing both smoke and fire when there isn't even any smoke.

Given the woeful current level of motorcycle licensing requirements in CA I am totally confident that H-Ds program will be a net plus.

I think a far better target than HD would be the common practice of Big 4 dealers selling newbies 600cc supersports and liter bikes... and then loaning 'em 125 cc scooters to take their license exams with.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #38
lukam
Founding Member

Oh since your 30 years is more valid than my 30 years then I will not state that the big 4 from Japan has a history of putting 16 year olds on 600 cc rice rockets and cutting their life short at 16 years 6 months.

I rest my case
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #39
tomk2
Founding Member

Sorry to derail such a nice rant but the curent moto training in California is neither state run nor state subsidized.

P.S. Before you run your mouth off too much bagging on California you might wanna check out which state is government subsidy dependent... CA or TX. One of 'em is a Federal net contributor, one of 'em is a net recipient.

Here's a hint... the state with the nations best educated most productive work force is the net contributor.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #40
mjs
Founding Member

How dare H-D want to train new riders so that they can safely operate a motorcycle. What are they thinking? Wouldn't it be better to just throw a new rider the keys to their new bike and let them fend for themselves in freeway traffic. That's the way we did it in the old days!
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote