Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Announces Q1 Earnings - Scares a Few

The reason sales have not trailed off as of yet is because of the US public's current loose-money economic policy fueled by the Fed's policy of expanding money supply and foreign dollars pouring in hand over fist, driving the trade deficit and foreign prices up (BTW this is what's causing the outsourcing that everyone complains about, as a side effect.) This discourages savings and promotes higher time preferences. At some point the foreign banks, and the world population in general, will have had enough of unbacked fiat money, the leverage will be so high that people will no longer feel that the US is simply "too big to fail", and then Harley won't be the only one feeling the crunch.

This end's today's lesson.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

You see this, longride? Shovelheads wil be dime a dozen any day now!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #13
Weezel
Registered Member

While MOrons have a lot of interesting things to say about bikes, I don't think investment advice in the motorcycle sector is one of them.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Stockholder

Great advice. I've seen some of my friends get caught in the short-term day/week/month trader thing fad with disastrous results for them. Every time I bought stock because I believed in the products and/or company, like you suggested, I have done well.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #15
edward44
Founding Member

Harley may be heading for a Cadillac moment that occures when the brand base enters the nursing home. Have you ever seen a young guy on a Harley? I wandered into a dealership to look at a Firebolt(they didn't have any) and what I found was a trailer trash boutique with gals sashaying around in retro fifties poor white trash gear. The only thing different was the price tags. Not for the poor! All representive of too much disposable income but with peak oil production here the bubble may burst and the Von Dutch/Harley/NASCAR wretched excess bubble will pop.

That's all I have to say.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #16
Fenton
Founding Member

"Does this spell doom and gloom for Harley. No."

Did you read the article?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I better sell mine now. A thousand bucks and it's yours. I need to get out now while the gettin' is good!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Have you ever seen a young guy on a Harley?"

Yep, I've seen plenty, including the founder of the largest sportbike site in Chicagoland, and quite a few that frequent the site. Don't kid yourself. Plenty of young guys would like to have a Harley, but can't afford one, or multiple motorcycles. Plus, if Harleys suck so bad, what were you doing in a dealership? I'll bet it was for a hell of a lot more than looking for a Firebolt.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #19
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I admit, although I don't "get" the cruiser thing I wouldn't mind owning a V-Rod or a Night Train. I do like the looks of those particular Harley cruisers. But I just wish they didn't cost so much (you can ***** and moan on this board right?). HD obviously know what they are doing up there in Milwaukee because they manage to get a lot of people to pay the ridiculous amount of money OVER the already outrageous (IMHO) MSRP. I guess I will never "deserve" to own a Harley until my attitude changes.

P.S. Buell, take that V-Rod engine and build a bike around it already okay? Thanks.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #20
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I don't think anyone at H-D is all that worried. Harley hasn't begun to tap the potential market for its products. Let's not forget, they have nearly limitless resources and have been exceeding sales goals making essentally one kind of bike for years and years. If they put some serious effort into R&D, they could dominate motorcycling across the boards.