Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 AM   #82
lcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: stop me if i sound like broken record.

Hey! I live in two blue states and I own a Y2K M2...
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 AM   #83
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Yesterday

and then the rumbling began, deep inside the earth...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:14 AM   #84
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, the organ grinder almost lost his monkey.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #85
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

One, why would you have to dress up to ride ANY product?? Two, what kind of bike don't they make that you would buy? Please don't say a sportbike, or I will lose my lunch on the monitor!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #86
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Rod for the rest of us!

My brother did that very thing. He bought a bone stock 883 and took it to have a Wiseco big bore kit installed. It was dynoed at about 73 or so hp with a pretty significant bump in torque. He sold it last year, but he had fun with it until his short attention span forced him to move on to a Victory. About $7k for the bike, $1200 for the Wiseco coversion and much more jump than a stock 1200.

I actually did a lot of the research on the conversion for him and found out the same thing you're saying. A good 883 conversion results in better performance for a lot less dough than a stock 1200. And anyone doing an 883 conversion should keep the stock cylinder heads; don't fit the HD 1200s. (I think Seruzawa also pointed this out.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #87
nokneedragin
Founding Member

As I've said before (in other post), I can not stand the OB/GYN riding position on most cruisers. The standard riding positon on most HD products isn't to bad, but (put a plastic sheet over your monitor longride), I perfer a sport bike/sport tourer type bike to the HD product line.

This is the first bike they have made (sice the 70's) that even admits there is another option to the cruiser ride/style (VR1000 aside that was available only in poland).

Do they need a sport bike, I don't think the HD club would like it, so they bought Buell. Do they need to add variety to the product line, yes. Which is what this bike admits they are looking to do IMO.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #88
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley makes Red State Bikes

Lemme see...

Didn't vote for Bush

Live in Washington

Make a living off of science

Haven't been to church since I was six

YOU FIGURED ME OUT ITS MY ANIT- NOLEDGE AGENA TO RUIN TEH COUNTRY, HI-FIVE IDITO!!!11!one!

Not that facts ever got in the way of one your subliterate rants. Best of luck, lunatic
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #89
nokneedragin
Founding Member

oh, and 99% of the cruiser crowd, I see riding around like refugees from the Village People.

Its a generalization, I admit. The whole "join the club of Harley owners" thing sticks in my craw.

I've never been a joiner.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #90
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Weel, you kind of cornered yourself on this one with circular logic, no offense intended. If Harley DID make a sport bike, it would certainly be slower and more expensive than a Japanese model. If you concede that point, the only reason to own one, then, would be to have the Harley-Davidson plastered on your tank. If you bought one, you would then be just as superficial as the "poser/cruiser" riders, so you then couldn't buy one then, for the same reasons you don't buy one now. Does that sum up why Harley doesn't make a sport bike? I think it might.