Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 AM   #72
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Broomstick?

FNG! If only you knew!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #73
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Yesterday

thank god u r back...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:57 AM   #74
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: VRSCR - The V-Rod for the rest of us!

"Got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time." The purple & white one reminds me a bit of the original Yamaha R5. I still wouldn't want to ride on the back. I hope it sells well: then Harley might keep the improvements coming. Might be quite a bike in 2020. It would make a nice retirement bike for me.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:02 AM   #75
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: stop me if i sound like broken record.

Exactly, both XB-S models are leagues better than any harley from a pure sporting standpoint and every bit a good in the "real" world as a big four bike.

Personally, I think it's just Blue State prejudice that keeps the Buells off people's radar
Old 01-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #76
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Premium price

Right off the top of my head, I'd say the Street Rod is over-priced by 4-5,000 dollars.

Unfortunately, since the MT-01 isn't coming here, there's not an an - apples to apples - bike I can think of to compare with the S-Rod. However, the MT would be illustrative of the $4K-$5K premium-price difference.

And, like Longride made abundantly clear, Honda isn't above playing the Premium-Price Game, with the Rune.

For me, I'd go with a modified SV1000. It doesn't have the sound, or the the syle, but it would probably get the job done. Too bad they don't come with a naked any more.

Other than that there's Buell; they're not a bad option for the money.

Like I said, I tend to be a bit narrow-focused, so I understand that my perspective is probably skewed. Guess I'm a Fundamental Fundamentalist
Old 01-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #77
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Yesterday

Actually I can imagine Honda doing that. If my remnants of menory of that time are not to foggy, I seem to remember that HD was way down the list of bikes sold per year, so (aside from getting the US guvmnt to help them out) they where doing anything to get people to buy their bikes.

At the same time Mopar started (again with guvmnt help) offering 5 yr 100k mile warenties (with full maintenance included at first). Anything to boost sales, is what any company is going to do in a down position like they where in.

While its probably not going to happen anytime soon, I can see Honda doing sales gimicks to increase the numbers sold.

As I alluded to above, HD saw a great marketing tool and latched on for all it was worth. Selling a group image (billy bada$$ etc.) marketed the crap out of it, improved the quality of its product, and is the giant it is today. It still does not make a bike for every type of rider, nor do they "listen" to customers. They listen to the marketing hype, and ignore potential customers by not marketing to them.

My $0.02. I still think the VSCR is a good step in the right direction to expand the customer base of HD. They keep up I might start looking at their products more. But I'm not playing dress up to ride a HD product
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #78
SeaGoat
Founding Member

Default Re: VRSCR - The V-Rod for the rest of us!

Uglier'n $#@!, just under $17,000. Hmmm . . . I'll take two UJM's, please.
SeaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #79
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: The V-Rod for the rest of us!

I agree with the moved foot controls, bigger tank, rake changes and the ride height.

I just can't get over how they recycled those god awful rims!

coudn't they come up with a different rim?

allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote