Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-25-2005, 03:10 AM   #51
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Compared to your Harley...

no resale? so you are saying war is like a kawasaki? that must be why some people call them atrocitycycles...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2005, 03:11 AM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: VRSCR - The V-Rod for the rest of us!

I think you are 100% right. I think we should all go get a Honda Rune, just to show Harley what class, style, and "getting the most for your money" is all about.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:21 AM   #53
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: kpaul needs to...

Arguing subjective vs. objective only gives everyone a headache; but considering the reoccurrence of Harleys in the Mid-Atlantic Cycle Trader, I really think that HarleyÂ’s legendary resale-value has passed quietly (unnoticed) into history.

While, I admit the Street Rod is a step forward for Harley, to me it looks like a $16K piece of junk-jewelry. I really donÂ’t mean to be offensive; I just feel that a rational point-of-view should be made.

And, though I admit I can be a bit harsh, thatÂ’s just for laughs.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:30 AM   #54
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: VRSCR - The V-Rod for the rest of us!

Boy-O-Boy, and they say I'm harsh. $22K for a Valkrie, that looks like it came outa the PC800 design-department, I wouldn't wish on my former brother-in-law (shesh!).
Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 AM   #55
lcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: VRSCR - Back to the subject

KPaul's opinion notwithstanding, I think this new V-ROD is a pretty big deal. The engine is, by all accounts I've read, outstanding, and the styling is (still) original. The problem with the original V-Rod was that it was all about style -- which may have made sense it terms of introducing the model -- but that as a faux drag bike it was a "drag" to ride: awkward, uncomfortable, with poor handling. Instead of trying to push these things out the door for several years (without great success as it turns out), they should have followed with a more "practical" model fairly quickly. Now, it seems that they have finally done so, and have produced what should be a pretty nice bike, nice to look at and nice to ride. We'll see how they test, but changing the wheelbase, steering geometry and particularly, the ergos, should make this a dramatically different ride from the original. Effectively, it amounts to a true new model.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 AM   #56
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: VRSCR - Back to the subject

Harley knew why some people liked that bike, but didn't buy one. It wasn't a secret that fuel capacity, riding position, and solid wheels were putting some people off. They addressed those issues with this model. Imagine how many VFR's Honda would sell if they actually listened to their customers.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:51 AM   #57
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: kpaul needs to...

while it's probly not what it used to be...it's likely better than other manufacturers...look at how much an old amf ironhead sells for...

unfortunately, this whole poor resale thing is making it hard for me to justify spending time or money to fix my old honda.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:00 AM   #58
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Yesterday

I'm in FL right now at a conference and we had Ken Schmidt as a speaker. He was H-D's director of communications starting back in 1985 (pre Evo and pre Softail).

It was very interesting how H-D built it's brand by (surprise) givint its customers what they want.

The Big Four would kill for the kind of brand loyalty H-D has.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:01 AM   #59
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Rod for the rest of us!

I've always thought that an 883 or 1200 based through-back styled cafe racer would be a sweet bike. Again it would not be a big seller in the HD line, but I doubt that the VSCR is going to sell like hot cakes compared to the fat boys and such.

This bike does look like a step in a good direction for HD. Good style a little porky, basically and overstyled streetfighter. Nice try, and the HD faithfull should accept it as a "real bike" sice they stuck with that oversized front tire.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:03 AM   #60
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Correction $1 billion per week.

Maybe we'll miss dunderhead and his idiotic generalizations. But he's a typical blue stater. A criminal, liar, baby-killer, draft dodger and druggie who is stupid enpough to listen to Dan Rather. Nah. We won't miss him.