Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #91
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Premium price

I put this in the same catagory as an R3. or Warrior. IE; a crusier, but not an imitation Hydra-Glide.

Much more my style if I was after a cruiser, decent horsepower and torque, acceptable handeling and brakes. Normal feet back riding position. Even the price is not outlandish.

I like it myself, I don't know if I'd buy one anytime soon but it falls in the realm of at least possible.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #92
Loki22302
Founding Member

Default Re: VRSCR - The V-Rod for the rest of us!

It seems The Motor Company has cloned Yamaha's Road Star Warrior. The Street Rod is a pretty bike and is a step in the right direction. I still want the return of the '82 XR1000, or a streetable XR750.
Loki22302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #93
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Yesterday

Since you don't know me personally I'll be glad to explain.

I've never wanted the latest greatest sportbike, I can only use so much of it on the roads of america. So give me a bike that leans to the sporting side and I'm happy. You yourself don't own the latest sport bike so why does that make sense? By your circular logic statement, I would think that you would only own the latest/greatest. However, I beleive that you (like me) are a realist about the real world requirements of riding on the street, and understand the limits of sport riding. As such you choose a bike that gave you what you desired in performance, without gouging your wallet to get it.

As for the poser/cruiser part, I said I have a prob. w/ the HD hype. I still would love a HD/Buell/USA company sport bike product (that I can fit on, man those Buells feel small). Does that me a hypocrite, only if I buy the HD cleaning bucket
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #94
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Honda outsells H-D if you count dirtbikes. If you only look at streetbikes then H-D is number one. Honda does a lame imitation of the HOG thing with the Red Riders Club, or whatever they call it.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #95
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Premium price

There's a brand new naked silver 03 SV1000 sitting on the showroom floor at Salt Lake Honda. It'd be mine if I weren't saving for an S3.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #96
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You make sense, and I agree with much of what you said, but the buyers for a sportbike that is not cutting edge, is limited at best, inside a limited, and ever changing maket segment. Triumph is finding that out the hard way. I picked my Ninja because I actually FIT on it, not because it offered less performance. I can't say that for the current crop for sure. Since evil Harley is in the business to make money, the limited market for any sportbike with millions invested in design, engineering, and testing would simply not be worth the effort. I think they know their demographic by manufacturing past sales turds like the XR1000 and XLCR. They are both highly sought after now, but I'm afraid any sportbike effort from Harley would be doomed to failure. Just my opinion on it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #98
lcarlson
Founding Member

Fuel injection, liquid cooling, ohc, and 9000 redline vs. carburation, air cooling, pushrods and maybe 6300 redline: seems to me that there's quite a difference. Also, I don't think the VRSCR really fits in the cruiser segment with the new design.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #99
lcarlson
Founding Member

Fuel injection, liquid cooling, ohc, and 9000 redline vs. carburation, air cooling, pushrods and maybe 6300 redline: seems to me that there's quite a difference. Also, I don't think the VRSCR really fits in the cruiser segment with the new design.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #100
seruzawa
The Toad

It's too easy to get into trouble trying to objectify the purchase of a motorcycle since the very idea of riding a motorcycle is a subjective one. If one is to use maximum objectivity then one would buy a car.

All motorcycle purchase decisions are subjective. This is why these stupid "HD riders are posers" threads are so pointless. A Sportbike rider buys from as subjective a decision as an HD purchaser.

One could easily show that the naked standards are a wiser choice than either cruisers or sportbikes for 90% of riders for any number of reasons. Yet standards languish on the showroom floor while the race replicas and cruisers fly out the door. Why? Because the purchaser likes the bike he buys for his own reasons. The usual one is that he likes the way it looks. Another is peer pressure. Another one is that he thinks he'll look like young Marlon Brando or Kenny Roberts. All the objectifying that some people engage in after that fact are driven by some need to self-justify. I say, just buy what you like and let everyone else be dammed.

(Note: People who buy BMWs, Multistradas and V-Stroms are exempt from the "purchasing by looks" category for obvious reasons.)

People buy motorcycles for purely subjective reasons.. not from rational ones. If we were really "rational" we would buy Camrys. The manufacturers understand this and since they are in the business of making money they offer the bikes that they think will sell. How many times have they been burned by heeding the vocal demand for naked streetbikes only to see them gather dust on the floor?