Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Record Earnings (again) For Harley Davidson (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/2635-record-earnings-again-for-harley-davidson.html)

christian_gates 01-20-2005 11:47 AM

Re: Record Earnings (again) For Harley Davidson

"Revenue" isn't a taxable item - earnings are. Net income is after tax, although, to add to your confusion, financial statement accrued net income (which is reported) is different from tax income. To oversimplify, companies keep two sets of books - the tax books and the financial accounting books.

So Harley's Net Income (after tax) was $200 million.

Buell might be consolidated (depends on control as well as ownership), or it might not be - and it might not be material, even if consolidated. There are many considerations.

If it's not consolidated, only "Equity in Income of Unconsolidated Subsidiary" would appear, with no real further description. Alternatively, if it's consolidated but small, they might just ignore it. You'd be surprised what the materiality threshold might be for different companies.

cdg

christian_gates 01-20-2005 11:51 AM

'Doh! Net Income was $900 million for the year on $5.0 billion in revenue. I misread (reading too quickly). Anyway, that's a GREAT margin for a manufacturing company, which Harley isn't, but at least claims to be.

Anyway, Buell probably isn't material to their earnings or revenue. At $8K a pop to the factory they'd have to sell a *****-ton of those things to be "material". Their published financials may split the unit out, though - their public so their annual report and 10-K are available at www.sec.gov and on their website.

johnnyb 01-20-2005 01:03 PM

Hey, did you guys succeed in running Kpaul off? I wanted to say i thought 22% was a real mandate for him, to hear you guys tell it. but my membership lapsed or something, effectively muzzling me for an entire day. Also looked like about half the comments on his poll were pro-KP.

Anyway, who can we gang up on next?

sarnali 01-20-2005 01:04 PM

Know what the farmer said when chicken little told him the sky is falling?

"Holy S**T, a talking chicken!"

sarnali 01-20-2005 01:07 PM

Actually, we were thinkin' of YOU

sarnali 01-20-2005 01:14 PM

Well I think it's great. Good luck to them

I guess by increasing production they figured out not everyone was going to stand in line for a $20k bike.

They're common as fleas on a dog up here, I really do believe that at some point the demand will level off, but it doesn't appear to be any time soon

johnnyb 01-20-2005 01:17 PM

bring it on then, i need to stay in shape. U guys at the inauguration today or what? hard to say what W can do to make 2nd term even Better than first...

sportbike_pilot 01-20-2005 01:20 PM

Not too shabby for a company that represents "everything that is wrong with this country."

Go HD. I'm glad to see those folks raking it in. Like Dale I wouldn't mind seeing a little of that spare case go into some R&D but who can argue with success!

-sbp

KillerKowalski 01-20-2005 01:39 PM

who can we gang up on next?

I think the rule should be that they have to be as consistently annoying as KP. If the site stays up for another 100 years, I guesstimate three, maybe four more ineffective polls. He had rare, misguided tenacity.

Some people are the underdog for good reason.

BMW4VWW 01-20-2005 01:41 PM

No doubt, but terrorism could have easily gone into the "other factors" category along with those unlikely occurrences such as the U.S. being invaded by Latvia. VWW