Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Yer Killin me!

You are right. I just don't have the passion that you and the others here have for motocycles. I just don't have the knowledge or experience that you do either. I would say that posting MSRP's is the best thing a motorcycle company can do. There isn't anything else. It's sure great to talk to wonderfully intelligent, experienced motorcyclist like your self to straighten out a noob like me. I sure hope you can hang around and teach me the ropes to this motorcycing thing, and how I should regard manufacturers. I'm kinda new here, and really don't get the whole thing. Thanks for everything.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #42
sethch
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley and Buell Extend Warranty for Deployed Military

I have been a broke GI so I'm here to tell you what I know first hand, no one(Ok never say never, not many) enlisted rides a Sportster. If there going to spend 7k on a bike it aint gonna be on an uncomfortable, underpowered cruiser just because it has HD on the tank...Back to the point. OK so HD did SOMETHING for vets.

The HD execs. can sleep well tonight.

I see your point and I've stated mine.
sethch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And of course, you are right. Certainly, no serviceman would ever be caught dead on a Sportster. None of them would spend thier money on that crap. You made a valid point and one that is 100% correct.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #44
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

If being successful is the epitome of what is wrong with America then I have had my head screwed on backwards for a long time. I thought that was the point?

By the standards that you seem to imply I suppose motorcycle comparos would be pretty simple, just post MSRP and horsepower numbers then presumably some magic combination of those two wins. I think we'd still rather ride them and find out for ourselves. One of the things that becomes apparent when you have the opportunity to get lots of seat time on lots of bikes is that character does matter and that spec sheets don't go down the road nearly as well as an actual bike. Motorcycles are fun and cool and everyting that I like for all kinds of reasons that don't show up on most charts.

In terms of the Streetfighter shootout, having previously ridden the SV650, and the SV1000 I can tell you that their inclusion into the shootout would very likely not have altered the outcome. That sucky low-tech Buell from the greedy corporate neer-do-well works pretty good IMO. I believe that no one going into the streetfighter shootout would have ever picked the Buell to win over the Italian stallion and the Sistine Chapel on wheels. But when we rode them back to back in a variety of circumstances, for several days it became apparent the the Buell was the champ. Hell, the fact that they got the performance they did out of a Sportster engine is my candidate for engineering achievement of the new millenium. I may have to write to the Pope and find out exactly what the official requirements for a miracle are. And I might even disagree with those who call for a fire breathing engine for the Buell. It works pretty well the way that it is. If you want to find an example of what happens when you overpower a chassis with a motor see our comments about the ZX-10 from last spring. Big hp ain't always the end all and be all measure of a bike.

By your standards I suppose we should have disqualified the Honda CBR1000RR as our winner in the open class shootout last spring. It's down on horsepower, expensive, and heavy. It's a good thing we rode it I suppose.

Look - you are entitled to your opinion about what you like and what you don't about motorcycles and there is no arguing about it. But claiming that HD is somehow a corporate scoundrel while Honda is not, with nothing other than an opinion behind it is just silly. They are all about the same thing which is making a buck. HD is neither better nor worse than anyone else in the corporate ethics vs the bottom line department. Just successful in their current incarnation at the latter.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #45
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Yer Killin me!

No dude... he doesn't get your spirit comment because he lives in the real world, where people have jobs.

Indian knew all about spirit.

And now they can sip on their spirit while they stand around in the un-employment lines, mooching off those Evil Folks who actually DO make money.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:00 AM   #46
pplassm
Founding Member

You guys haven't been overseas lately and talked to the troops. Harleys still very popular.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I was kidding with my response. Obviously, this guy lives on a different planet than the rest of us.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #48
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Re: I clear minefields for a living.

I don't own a HD. I ride Green.

I really doubt this will really imact too many service members, thus the ease with which Harley has introduced this promotion. While there are an abundance of men and women who ride HD's in the service, just think how many of them actually have them still in their warranty period.

Say a large base has a bike(er) population of 300-400 riders. There would be 100-150ish HD owners spread around. How few are new owners? Only 10 or so sent out at a time. Rotations taking from 6-24 months, then another group gets sent out. Call me a pessimist, but my guess is this impacts only a couple hundred riders world wide.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #49
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: I clear minefields for a living.

You'll never know until you try.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #50
sethch
Registered Member

Haven't talked to the troops?

I have worked on an Air Force base for the last 11 years and work side by side with the military every day. I can say this for sure, Harley's ain't popular with the troops out at Edwards Air Force Base.
sethch is offline   Reply With Quote