Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #31
sethch
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley and Buell Extend Warranty for Deployed Military

This is very smart PR move on HD's part, and a bit of a catch 22.

The fact that most people in the military and especially of the rank that would be "in the *****" couldnÂ’t afford a HD(or even a Buell for that matter) means HD will rarely make good on this deal. So HD looks like their supporting the troops with really having to do a damn thing. They really want to do something for the troops how bout knocking down their price 25% and preapproving loans for service members. Then IÂ’ll say I can forgive HD for overpricing and under engineering their products for the past 100+ years.

sethch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The only question I have is: If they are overpricing and under engineering their products, why are they selling all they can make and then some? Seems like somebody has something wrong, and it isn't them.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #33
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

While I don't think that HD is in danger of being at or near the cutting edge of engineering genius anytime soon, that little Buell that won our streetfighter shootout sure didn't seem either underengineered or overpriced to me.

When a company can convince consumers to ante up lots o $$$ for a leisure product based on the perception of value (Ty comes to mind) I say good for them. No one holds a gun to anyones head to force them to buy things like motorcycles or beanie babies. I salute HD for their marketing prowess. I wish I was half as smart about making bank as those guys are.

- sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #34
sethch
Registered Member

Because people will buy a name over quality. There are two things that is keeping HD the best selling motorcycle in the world longevity( and they have almost gone bankrupt a couple times so they haven't always been that strong a sellers) and baby boomers all going through their mid life crisis at the same time.

I know as an ex military member I can't help but take it personally when some puts out some useless "Thanks for everything" promo. Give me something I can use or just straight out thank me but don't put out some half ass attempt for a PR boost.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

What did Honda do for you lately?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #36
sethch
Registered Member

Ok here is what I know...as far as Buell's go.

They are a novelty bike. Looks(Cool), Gas tank in the frame(Oooo), Sportster Engine(Ahhh). A friend of mine has one and while I like unusually looking bikes(especially the Buell) but I like something what has the power to back up those cool looks. I paid 7k out the door for my SV1k, my friend paid 11k for his XB12R. We swapped bikes after we both bought our bikes and I liked the Buell but I don't see what the big deal is, especially for the 4k difference in price. When we get on it he can't even compete with the power my Jap v-twin puts out, especially once I added all the upgrades with the money I saved. As for undenginnering goes for the first few years of Buells life it was the poster child for how not to build a bike. You name it it had problems with it. Another friend of mine bought the 1st generation Buell and had to go through 4 Major recalls! That is why the 2nd Generation basically had to be redesigned from the ground up. As much as I enjoyed that Streetfighter article it just showed me that most big companies still don't get what the streetfighter concept...to me itÂ’s about Minimalist looks, Comfortable seating position and Big Power and torque... is all about. I think if they threw in a Z1000, a Speed Triple and SV1k(of course I'd be biased to the latter) it would make for a much more interesting and thorough article. Those last 3 bikes I mentioned really seem to get it, and you do not have to apply for a mortgage to buy them either.

I know, I know there is a 2nd round coming with the new Speed Triple, which I can not wait for!

P.S. Forget the 919. Honda totally missed the boat with that great looking but flaccid piece of machinery.

As for the money thing goes I half agree with you anyone that can take advantage of naive public and make a killing at it you really canÂ’t blame them. While were throwing around our .02 I was just saying that taking advantage of your customers isnÂ’t a good thing. HD is the epitome of what is wrong with America. ItÂ’s not about the spirit(in this case the love of riding on two wheels) or the you adoring costumers it all about the almighty dollar, and to me that is immoral.

As for their Military promo like I told the first guy that chimed in about my post.

"I know as an ex military member I can't help but take it personally when some puts out some useless "Thanks for everything" promo. Give me something I can use or just straight out thank me but don't put out some half ass attempt for a PR boost"

Like I said just throwing around my .02!

Sorry my .02 end up being my 5 bucks, just love talking about motorcycles.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #37
sethch
Registered Member

I know it goes with our saying but...They built a kick ass bike that I can actually afford that is what they did for me!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The discussion wasn't about motorcycle prices, but warranties. I'm happy Honda made a bike you like. A Sportster is $6495. Most bikes don't come cheaper than that, including 90% of Honda street bikes. Lots of people, including servicemen, can afford Sportsters. Now a Sporty might not be your cup of tea, but for many people they are. Yes, Harley does make expensive motorcycles, but so does Honda. Honda didn't extend anything. Harley extended their warrenties. I'd say, someone that does something, is always better than someone that does nothing. I guess anyone can look at any act and bum kick it.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Yer Killin me!

Lots of what you said is very funny. You act like Honda and the rest aren't out to make money! LOL Just goes to show you what marketing can do to make Honda, one of the biggest moneymakers on the planet, a benovelent, loving, nurturing mother, while Harley is, and I quote, "the epitome of what is wrong with America". I about blew my drink all over the screen when I read that one. I know one thing. Suzuki didn't do crap for you. I'm sure they have no interest in making money either, but only have your best interests in mind. You need to do stand up at the Comedy Shack! One last one:

"ItÂ’s not about the spirit(in this case the love of riding on two wheels) or the you adoring costumers it all about the almighty dollar, and to me that is immoral."

Please! Please! Stoooooppp! LOL
Old 01-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #40
sethch
Registered Member

Default Re: Yer Killin me!

The only marketing Honda or Suzuki has to do is post numbersÂ…MSRPs to be exact.

Clearly you are one of those guys that rides around on a bike, most likely a HD, without a grin on his face. You ride a bike just to say you ride, so you may not got my "spirit" comment because you donÂ’t share the passion I and many other people on this board share. So go dust off your $25,000 Harley and take it around the block so you can tell everyone on Monday at work you went for a ride. IÂ’ll be in the canyons riding my 7k motorcycle grinning from ear to ear.