Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-10-2004, 05:54 AM   #21
Hipshot
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson CEO Retires

I've go it! How about Eric B. for CEO?
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2004, 06:01 AM   #22
eekadog
Founding Member

thank goodness that 20+ inch dubs went into style.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:37 AM   #23
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Real Sportbike?

It does not need to work on a powerplant, it needs a powerplant.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #24
Rsduce
Registered Member

WHIPIDY DOO!
Rsduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:01 AM   #25
pdad13
Founding Member

At the risk of beating a dead horse silly, the V-ROD engine won't fit in an XB chassis. It's too long and too heavy. Someone did say they heard a far-from-confirmed rumor that a few water-cooled, new-engined, XB test mules were roaming around some track somewhere. But again, just a rumor.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:55 PM   #26
Hutchinator
Founding Member

I know HD most likley wouldn't risk it's cruiser edge, but might Buell come out with a Sport Tourer to compliment it's streetfighters? With a longer bike, and shave some weight from the Revolution (How much steel v. Al & Ti is there?) then it might be a future possibility.

Then again, I could just be smokin' something...
Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #27
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Real Sportbike?

Let me guess...

You want something that has to be revved to 7K+ to get a decent amount of power? That's great for a track, but will you really cruise the streets and highways in that range?

I'd rather have my bulk of power nice and low where I normally ride so I don't have to downshift a bunch just to pass Auntie B in the motorhome.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #28
pdad13
Founding Member

A possibility. But I too dreamed of a V-Rod powered Buell, that is until the day I first saw my buddy's new V-ROD. That engine is freakin' big. The bottom end alone looks like a tank. Then again, it is sitting on a 70+ inch wheelbased, raked out chassis. So that might have given the impression that it was even bigger than it is.

I guess a new Buell ST? could happen. But I'm not sure it fits with their strategy.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:51 AM   #29
pattonme
Founding Member

Aprilia 450 please. and the Rotax mill used in the Mille
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:09 AM   #30
FZZZZZZZZZ1
Founding Member

Default The problem with this idea is that....

...Harley Davidson isn't in business to make motorcycles, they are in business to make money. There's nothing distinctive about that as far as Harley is concerned, since that is what all corporations do.

But...because their particular customer base has demonstrated a consistent willingness to pay inflated prices for motorcycles no other manufacturer would be able to sell purely on the strength of their qualities as motorcycles absent the Harley image (i.e., there's a sucker or at least a poser born every minute) Harley has no incentive to build a better bike.

Add to that the fact that sports touring as a market niche is relatively small and would require LOTS of promotion to expand, and Harley has absolutely no reason to build bikes for that market.

And anyway, even if they did build a V-Rod engined sports tourer bikes like FJR 1300's would still blow them into the weeds in every category of sports-touring performance, and for considerably less coin...and it ends up being a losing proposition for the Clothing/Posing company no matter how you slice it...
FZZZZZZZZZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote