Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   Harley-Davidson News (
-   -   Harley-Davidson set to roar into China (

chingbaby 11-29-2004 07:43 AM

Re: Harley-Davidson set to roar into China
Gonna be interesting to see how they protect their precious trademarks and patents in the land of bootlegging.

mscuddy 11-29-2004 07:44 AM

Could this Harley knock-off made in China?

And it's not "high octane" KP, it's high displacement.

captainwhoopass 11-29-2004 08:07 AM

Wow, I only read this story about 6 months ago.

I always cringe whenever I see a non-motorcyclist reporter write any kind of story on anything to do with motorcycles. Case in point, this one credits Harley's popularity to Easy Rider, which is more than a bit of a stretch. I would argue that "Terminator 2" had a much larger effect on their image to the general public.

Nplateau 11-29-2004 08:35 AM

Re: Cut and paste thing.
Don't you have to use the premium stuff on Kawi sport bikes given their compression ratios?

How much does that drive up cost of ownership over the course of a year? Especially with these awful gas prices...

Here in SoCal, premium costs 20-30 cents more per gallon (sometimes more) and I figure if you ride a lot, that adds up to quite a bit.

It really sucks that when you go to put in 4 gallons of gas it costs about $10.

tumbler 11-29-2004 08:36 AM

Hmmm, my yzf is 12:1 and it is recommended to run on 87 octane. I never had a problem with knocking running on the lower octane gas, even in stop and go TX heat.

Nplateau 11-29-2004 08:38 AM

Nope. I'm a T2 generation guy, and I would still give more credit to Easy Rider. If for no other reason because of the imagery promoted by easy rider. Most of us T2 gen guys are more into supersports and "custom choppers."

Nplateau 11-29-2004 08:41 AM

YZF 600? Sweet. Seing as that the Kpaul era ninja is now the ZZR 600 and falls into the same category of the still sold YZF 600, maybe a little comparo of the two bikes, inclusive of cost of ownership may be a good idea. What could we call it? Real World Supersports? Please give me your feedback.

chingbaby 11-29-2004 08:55 AM

I've got an HD and a Honda. The HD will knock in traffic and heat, while the Honda is happy. Main reason is that the Honda is liquid cooled, and oil-cooled. The HD is air-cooled. No movement = no air = really hot = pre-detonation = knock. The high octane is an attempt to keep the pre-detonation under control.

seruzawa 11-29-2004 09:25 AM

It's gotta be "Easy Rider". Ah yes! The wind in your hair! The carefree life of heroin dealers who are stupid enough to risk VD in a commune and then ride through the heart of 60's KKK territory on choppers with long hair. That's what I wanna be!

I'm not sure that that image will play so well in China. But with China's rapidly expanding wealthy class there'll be plenty of people who will want a Harley if merely as a symbol of conspicuous consumption.

It doesn't matter how we perceive Harley's. It only matter how the Chinese perceive Harley's. I'd bet HD would sell a fair number.

naco_traficante 11-29-2004 09:33 AM

Obviously a plan to destroy them from within
Imagine how much oil China will need to keep thousands of Harleys running. And Taiwan can control their supply of "Esee-Reekers" and chaps.

mile_eater 11-29-2004 10:19 AM

Can you put that italiant article back up on the front page? I'd rather look at a pretty motorcycle than those Gawk Awful leathers.

Seriously... I feel like I stumbled into the Blue Oyster everytime I pull up the home page.

captainwhoopass 11-29-2004 10:21 AM

Are you giving credit to Easy Rider for promoting choppers or Harleys? If you said choppers, I would agree with you. If you said Harleys, I wouldn't.

tumbler 11-29-2004 10:32 AM

If MO will schedule track time and pay for my gas and meals I will gladly come out there and race my yzf against kpaul's zx at Willows, either track. Of course Sean can get ninja 500 and whoop on both of us.

Neal 11-29-2004 10:36 AM

I have a feeling 5 years from now China will be selling more street bikes(Im not including 300 buck "pocket bikes") here than HD sells there. I wonder if HD is mindful of the past(late 20's early 30's) when Alfred Childs talked them into selling and manufacturing bikes in Japan.Japan kicked em out and manufactured HD flathead knock offs under the name Rikuo,which is loosely translated as "King of the Road" HD makes the Road that a Rikuo rip off......STOP,Im giving myself a headache.

Vlad 11-29-2004 10:52 AM

The image of motorcycling
Yeah Sean, let's see if we can get picture other than a circumferentially challenged guy wearing tacky leather for the home page. How about a scantily clad Italian (bike or girl I'm not particular).

captainwhoopass 11-29-2004 11:06 AM

You proved my point for me.. Easy Rider promoted choppers, not Harleys. There IS a difference.

tumbler 11-29-2004 12:12 PM

Wait a sec. don't you lift weights, take karate, getting your pilot's license, and riding a motorcycle and you started all of this later in life. It sounds like someone is over compensating for something...

Before you poke fun at my gymnastics background please keep in mind the Purdue gymnastics club is a co-ed club and the majority of the girls I dated in high school and college were those cute little flexible wonders that had to give up a social life for their sport and now are ready to cut loose. The impressionable freshman were such easy pickings. But I digress. Work with on this race thing, I would love to get a trip to Cali and free track time...

longride 11-29-2004 12:32 PM

I think YOU know the difference between Harleys and choppers Cap, but to the average Joe say "chopper" and the image is of a Harley. To anyone that is on the outside Harleys ARE choppers and choppers ARE Harleys. Easy Rider started the ball rolling and T2 kept it rolling.

kowalke67 11-29-2004 02:41 PM

Heck, you think people not in the know not being able to distinguish between HarleyÂ’s and chopper's is bad? I was dating a girl and met her roommate one evening for the first time. We got to talking about me owning a motorcycle and I told her what kind. At the time I rode a BMW F650GS Dakar. So when we all left for dinner I pointed out my bike on the street. She looked at it incredulously and said," ThatÂ’s not a motorcycle!" I would have hit her but I was very interested in having relations that night and I figured punching your new girlfriends roommate wasn't the best approach. So instead I said," If that's not a motorcycle what is?" She replied," I don't know. That just doesn't look like a motorcycle." *****...all right, not really. She was pretty cool. Drank scotch neat, drove a big Ford F150 Super cab, sunbathed nude, and was in a word sultry hot (okay, two words).

Anyway, she obviously expected to see a Harley and didn't consider any other type of bike a motorcycle but a Harley. So if someone confuses your Harley with a chopper don't sweat it. At least they still consider it a motorcycle.

gatling 11-29-2004 05:17 PM

Harley will do well in China. High end consumer goods, especially motor vehicles, are doing well in China since their leadership declared that being rich is a "glorious" thing. Their economy is booming and there is a lot of disposable income over there.

I have a lot of photos of Chinese motorcycles at (go the motors page and find your way from there). They are still riding new clones of the '37 BMW flathead, so they are used to the idea of big twins. Some of these even have the "Ride to Live, Live to Ride" paraphernalia attached to them.

Joe Berk

JLittler 11-29-2004 10:17 PM

Re: Dude..
Yes please ! I'll second that motion. That is one ugly pic. Put the MV back up or anything but that !

wrecks 11-30-2004 02:52 AM

Harley will succeed because every other country in the world wishes it was the USA.

pdad13 11-30-2004 04:25 AM

Re: Think about the market for arm chaps
Arm chaps. Billions of 'em. Fringed, flamed, Oriental style, Leather, Dogskin, Rice etc., etc. We could make a fortune. I appoint Buz CEO, Seruzawa CFO, and Longride, President.

Now we just need a company name.

roperin 11-30-2004 04:49 AM

Re: Think about the market for arm chaps
How about "Haw-lee Dave-son"--makes use of the whole oriental L/R issue, sounds like an official motor-company-endorsed product for China, and who would really care about the implied trademark infringement?

Do I get a small slice of the fortune now?

ddlewis 11-30-2004 05:27 AM

Re: The image of motorcycling
It's always my least favorite items that end up staying for weeks. Or maybe that's how they became my least favorites?

(Ok, the 'flame-wear' thing was a stinker from the get go ;)

MO, here's what I want for xmas. R1200GS, vs DL650, vs KTM 950 adventure, vs Tiger, vs CapoNord, vs KLR650. I'm flexible on the KLR's inclusion if that helps. Now get w/ it.

tomk2 11-30-2004 06:00 AM

So Harley Davidson (the XA), the Russians (Ural) AND the Chinese all copied the BMW?

whatta classic

mscuddy 11-30-2004 06:46 AM

Wow, I wonder how the Rikuo ran? Bet it didn't leak. A Mikuni Tillotson copy? The mind reels.

You can count on China making a Harley knock-off. Name it the Thundering Potato.

Here's a link to a pic of the last Rikuo 750 made:

Thanks for the history lesson. Remember those who forget it are doomed to repeat it.

seruzawa 11-30-2004 07:48 AM

Opportunity knockings!
We could get revenge for all those manuals written in English by Asians. I say we call it the "Happy Good Fortune for Life Company". Our motto: "Our products promise a life of ecstatic happiness. Please buy it after acknowledging the thing. All your money are belong to us."

Good ideas for product names here.

bigjames 11-30-2004 09:52 AM

well, when the government does not recognize Western Trademarks and Patents because they are capitialist garbage, what does one expect. They already copy BMWs, poorly, Hondas, poorly, Linux, really poorly and licensed copies of the Old Jeep Cherokee, poorly. Betcha they have a field day copying H-D.....but then again, why should they be different from anyone else.....

maladg 11-30-2004 10:24 AM

Not a single joke about R's & L's?

Is that good or bad?

Back to the salt mines for me - as soon as I can barf up a semi cogent thought:

Hope Harley does well there. Can't ignore such a large potential market.

For MO types who are in the business arena - American cars are viewed favorably in China. I forget where I read this in the last 3 wks or so, but Buick is selling fairly well with a steep growth rate.

Big country - like here. I imagine the Chinese Gov will be pushing for improved highways soon. Harleys and other big iron should do very well.