Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #51
tripletango
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson set to roar into China

You are right about bans on motorcycles in Beijing and other flat land cities. I only saw a few small capacity cucles and mopeds and a couple of old Ural type bikes with side cars (Russian copies of BMW).

In Guangzhou and other hilly cities in the interior there were a bunch of small capacity motorcycles and mopeds.

It is possible to get a motorcycle permit in Beijing if you know someone and are willing to pay. In addition if you are a party member or a kid of one then no sweat!

I saw a Chinese Ural and sidecar with a huge thumping stereo blasting up and down Chang An street in BJ. They were party member kids I was told.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #52
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Harey-Davidson set to roar into China

no s**t G.I. me love you long time you bet, one goddam
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 PM   #53
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Think about the market for arm chaps

Like the way you think, son. You've got moxie. And you just earned yourself a promotion. Pack your bags, you're moving to Din-ha-wah-eeh province, Mr. National Sales Director.

But I'll have to take your name suggestion under advisement until I hear from the board.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:12 PM   #54
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Opportunity knockings!

Now that I really like. No wonder why we hired you.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:17 PM   #55
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Opportunity knockings!

Now that I really like. No wonder why we hired you.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:54 AM   #56
jjasper
Founding Member

I love you China shots. My wife is Chinese and we have been to China 4 times in the last couple years. It is great to see another westerner see and experience the same things I have when I was there. I was blown away by how nice everyone was and how much people likes Americans and if they spoke any English they wanted to practice with you.

I love it there, and we hope someday to move. I had to laugh about the driving part. As someone who lives in LA I still freak out in the car when I am in China. It is common to be going down the wrong way at breakneck speeds with inches separating you from a crash. In Guangzhou I have never seen so many motorcycles in my life, and those guys have big brass balls as they will slide between cars at speed like water. Every moment I expected someone to die, but this was business as usual for them and their sidesaddled passengers.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 AM   #57
jjasper
Founding Member

On a funny note, Audi's and VW's are considered crappy there, although you see them ALL over the road and most taxis are VWs. Audis and VW in China are built in China. General Motors Shanghai makes all the US cars.

More and more it is BMWs and Mercedes. Everyone wants one. Imported cars cost about 2 to 3 times as much in China as the States. Ferrari opened a dealership in Shanghai last time I was there. SUVs are also slowly starting to catch on because stupid Americans love them.

What does China get with it's new found car passion? Out of control acid rain and huge lines in many places for gas.

I was happy to see many bikers (not motorized) had moved up to pedal powered electric bikes. Peddle a short distance then cruise for a while.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote