Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #21
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson set to roar into China

I have a feeling 5 years from now China will be selling more street bikes(Im not including 300 buck "pocket bikes") here than HD sells there. I wonder if HD is mindful of the past(late 20's early 30's) when Alfred Childs talked them into selling and manufacturing bikes in Japan.Japan kicked em out and manufactured HD flathead knock offs under the name Rikuo,which is loosely translated as "King of the Road".....now HD makes the Road King...is that a Rikuo rip off......STOP,Im giving myself a headache.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #22
Vlad
Registered Member

Default The image of motorcycling

Yeah Sean, let's see if we can get picture other than a circumferentially challenged guy wearing tacky leather for the home page. How about a scantily clad Italian (bike or girl I'm not particular).

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:06 PM   #23
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

You proved my point for me.. Easy Rider promoted choppers, not Harleys. There IS a difference.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #25
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Cut and paste thing.

Wait a sec. don't you lift weights, take karate, getting your pilot's license, and riding a motorcycle and you started all of this later in life. It sounds like someone is over compensating for something...

Before you poke fun at my gymnastics background please keep in mind the Purdue gymnastics club is a co-ed club and the majority of the girls I dated in high school and college were those cute little flexible wonders that had to give up a social life for their sport and now are ready to cut loose. The impressionable freshman were such easy pickings. But I digress. Work with on this race thing, I would love to get a trip to Cali and free track time...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think YOU know the difference between Harleys and choppers Cap, but to the average Joe say "chopper" and the image is of a Harley. To anyone that is on the outside Harleys ARE choppers and choppers ARE Harleys. Easy Rider started the ball rolling and T2 kept it rolling.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:41 PM   #29
kowalke67
Founding Member

Heck, you think people not in the know not being able to distinguish between HarleyÂ’s and chopper's is bad? I was dating a girl and met her roommate one evening for the first time. We got to talking about me owning a motorcycle and I told her what kind. At the time I rode a BMW F650GS Dakar. So when we all left for dinner I pointed out my bike on the street. She looked at it incredulously and said," ThatÂ’s not a motorcycle!" I would have hit her but I was very interested in having relations that night and I figured punching your new girlfriends roommate wasn't the best approach. So instead I said," If that's not a motorcycle what is?" She replied," I don't know. That just doesn't look like a motorcycle." *****...all right, not really. She was pretty cool. Drank scotch neat, drove a big Ford F150 Super cab, sunbathed nude, and was in a word sultry hot (okay, two words).

Anyway, she obviously expected to see a Harley and didn't consider any other type of bike a motorcycle but a Harley. So if someone confuses your Harley with a chopper don't sweat it. At least they still consider it a motorcycle.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #30
gatling
Founding Member

Harley will do well in China. High end consumer goods, especially motor vehicles, are doing well in China since their leadership declared that being rich is a "glorious" thing. Their economy is booming and there is a lot of disposable income over there.

I have a lot of photos of Chinese motorcycles at www.joeberkphotography.com (go the motors page and find your way from there). They are still riding new clones of the '37 BMW flathead, so they are used to the idea of big twins. Some of these even have the "Ride to Live, Live to Ride" paraphernalia attached to them.

Joe Berk

www.joeberkphotography.com
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote