Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-28-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

"Martinez likes the free maintenance program. His Kawasaki Police 1000 motorbike has cost taxpayers $13,000 in repairs over the last two years, he said."

What? Does he crash it every other year?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

Good deal, Harleys always did make good police bikes because of the way they're laid out, low and slow. The vast majority of police M/C work is no where near high speed so the hi performance deficit doesn't really come into play, and the platform is well balanced to tack on all their crap.

Even if they were paying for maintainance the Harley would still be miles cheaper because they're so easy to work on, for example police work is hard on clutch's, a harley clutch can be changed in a hour if you take your time, a BMW clutch is a 3 or 4 hour pain in the butt and a known weak point, plus R1150RT wiring harness issues, drive shaft failures and crappy EFI maps.

I've ridden my bro's Dyna Defender a few times and I owned an FLHP for 5 or 6 years and I can tell you, you won't find a more comfortable set-up than the older spring post seats and floorboards. From a marketing point of veiw, it's a slam-dunk for Harley. Tons of free advertising, and after a year of leasing them to the fuzz, they have a very desirable "police special" that they can sell for new prices.

Them boyz got a nose for money that just won't quit. LOL
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
wrecks
Founding Member

"It's kind of like going from a Toyota pickup truck to a Cadillac,'

I'll take a Toyota pickup over a cadillac any day of the week. Saw a new 05 Tacoma today (drool).

Why don't they get some st1300s?

Actually I'm glad traffic cops prefer Hardleys they're easier to lose that way.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Mooner
Founding Member

Default BUT, for the faster pace cop....

Hmmmm, how 'bout a Lightning with a Givi setup. Lets imagine that for a second. he, he, he.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think the most interesting point is that the police Geezer Glides are offered with ABS. Hopefully that will trickle down to the consumer versions.

I'd retrofit mine if it's offered.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Mostly, it's turning radius why city Cops opt for Harleys vs. the BMW. Ask the CHP.

Also, Kaws overheat when stuck in traffic.

Lastly, from someone who breaks in Harleys for a rental palce, all Harleys have are anti-lock brakes, 'cause they don't work that well in the first place.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

One of my dirt bike buddies is a CHP motor officer. A few months ago, over several pitchers of beer at Murphy's (in El Mirage), he lamented about the rotten turning radius the big beemers have versus the kawi. Not that the CHP has to make any quick u-turns much, but he noticed it just the same.

Also, it seems those old 'sakis were darn near indestructible to boot. Don't know where this article is getting its maintenance cost figures.

You're right about the Harley layout. Low and slow. The main reason some police forces (read that the LAPD) got rid of HD's way back when was because of reliability problems, and the lack of acceleration. Not that Moto Guzzi was any better. Now, with the semi-modern Harley configuration and the resulting reliability, HD may be a force in the city-bike cop squad again.

Just don't expect them to be successfully running down any new GTOs on the freeway. Leave that to the Kawasakis and BMWs.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:57 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think they leave that to helicopters.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Too bad they don't use dirigibles.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Nplateau
Founding Member

lmao
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote