Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #21
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: How many 100,000 mile Harleys have you seen?

More than you think....my old 85 FLHT is on its third owner(I was first) and has 97k. My neighbor's 87 has 102k(2 top end rebuilds and sundry other fixes but nothing we couldnt do ourselves in a Saturday and a case of Beer).Theres an old ratty shovel running around that was bought new in 67 by my buddy's uncle and has been on the road almost continuously since then with many owners. I dont know how much of the motor is original but all rebuilds have been done by owner or local non-dealer mechanics and I can guarantee it has a lot more than 100k on the clock(which hasnt worked for years).Harleys can be ridden hard for years if you do the routine maintenance and are a reasonably capable backyard mechanic. If you need an article on how to change oil and want to ride it hard and dont have a good local mechanic you can trust...buy a Honda. If a rainy saturday morning in the garage doing an oil change and a tuneup is fun for you and taking the primary cover of f dont give you apoplexy.you can ride one hard and long and get good service

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #22
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: How much does a de-comissioned bike sell for?

Many of the choppers of the 60's and 70's were built from police bikes bought in police auctions in lots of between 5 and 10 at less than 500 bucks each. Swap meets at the time were full of police seats,bags,lights etc.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:36 PM   #23
RonXX
Founding Member

It's Marcus Dairy, not Markus.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #24
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

I thought it was strange that the article said the main reason to switching to H-D was ABS. After all, the BMW's surely offer ABS on the R1150RT. It sounds like an excuse for police to use the bikes they want personally (why I don't know), instead of the bikes that work best.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

Well they did mention maintenance costs which are surely less on a H-D vs. BMW and don't forget the local politician trying to gain some goodwill buy using taxpayer funds to "buy American."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:11 AM   #26
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Suprised more law enforcement don't use Valks

I saw a cop on a Valkyrie awhile back and it looked like Honda made those with that purpose in mind. I know I would rather be on a Valk rather than any Harley chasing a car out on the road. I'll bet the law enforcement groups get really sweet pricing on those Harleys though.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:15 AM   #27
Hector1
Founding Member

Default I think there is another reason...why cops want Harleys.

Most time spent on police bike is spent at a standstill, running radar. The springy seat and pillowy suspension is great for this.

Plus, you guys are forgetting an important point. Most cops, and I used to be one, are womanizers and Harleys always get the snakes!

Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:48 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: How much does a de-comissioned bike sell for?

That's how I got my 1980 FLHP, a local dealer bought 15 of them at a WSP auction and sold them for $4500. each

Mine had 12k miles on it in stylish Birch white, it had a few scuffs here and there, other than that it was in great shape. I kept it bone stock and sold it with almost 80k miles on it with nothing more than a front exhaust valve and a points conversion, plus regular maintainance

It was pretty gutless, as it was the last year of the 74's but it was reliable as a brick, and got almost 50mpg
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:13 AM   #29
anrajala
Founding Member

Well if an old bike still runs after umpteenth owner it has nothing to do with durability. Its like a railroad worker asked how many times he's changed his sledgehammer, he said never. The hammer part has been changed 5 times and the handle 11 times but never at the same time.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:18 AM   #30
anrajala
Founding Member

>Also, Kaws overheat when stuck in traffic.

If that was the problem the coppers chose a wrong substitute. They should have gone to watercooled bike obviously.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote