Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-28-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
rock06r
Founding Member

Default How many 100,000 mile Harleys have you seen?

Cause I haven't seen any. Now 100,000 Beemers are not exactly a dime a dozen, but you can find a good selection at every biker meet. Those Beemers have some of the oldest engine designs out there, and they are very sorted out. The body work is second to none - I've heard a couple of owners compare them to aircraft spec. Not like that Harley I saw one time on the way to Markus Dairy a couple of summers ago - the guy almost wrecked all over I-84 when his rear tire ran over some bits from the bottom of his engine (which I barely managed to avoid, although I was like 2 lanes over).
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: How many 100,000 mile Harleys have you seen?

It could be too because Kawasaki has quit producing the police model in 2004.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

Here's a cut from a California law enforcement bike site regarding the retiring Kawasakis:

"Now that Kawasaki is not competing in the police motorcycle market, police departments can expect to dig deeper into their pockets to purchase other models, this could also be the end of many traffic department motorcycles because of initial motorcycle cost's.

BMW entered the market on a give away program, whereas Kawasaki Police 1000 was a modest priced police motorcycle that to some may have been low tech but to most the Kawasaki Police 1000 was reasonably priced and it gave its value through reliable, dependable service. When Kawasaki entered the police market in 1975 their goal was to market the motorcycle with law enforcement so the Kawasaki motorcycle would be seen on city streets, and over the years the Kawasaki Police 1000 proved itself to be a thoroughbred.

With wonderful people such as Henry Schnittker ( kawasaki's first Police Sales Manager) Bill Zito ( Kawasaki's police technical guy) the Kawasaki Police 1000 reached its peak in the late 90's. Our hats are off to you guys and KMC for providing us over the years with not only super people to work with, but a smart looking, economical, dependable Kawasaki Police 1000. Like the "C" models, the "P" models will continue to live on with collectors.

Thank you Kawasaki, it was a great run."

Old 10-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #14
F451
Founding Member

Default Whatever It Takes

I just feel that the cops should be happy with whatever they choose to ride as they put their lives on the line in more ways than one by riding motor. All they need do now is add heated grips as the cops who have ridden BMW's seem to like that feature best. Harley's do make the best looking cop bikes.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #15
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: EL MONTE CA Area police departments opting for Harley-Davidson over BMW etc..

Makes sense. BMW's are the Harleys of Europe anway.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hell, you'd probably retro fit a heater and air-conditioning too, Buz! Just fit that bushel basket on the back to catch the parts that fall off.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #17
RIT_Phatmac
Registered Member

Default How much does a de-comissioned bike sell for?

A leasing Co. is buying the bike, are they also paying the maintence costs?

After a year, I bet they're selling them for more than they paid for them, which is why they would have only a year of service life.

I wish I was born at a time when a clapped-out HD police bike could have been bought "on the cheap" it's probably "extra fashionable" to ride an HD police bike today.
RIT_Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Imagine how sharp fringed wheel-speed sensors would look!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #19
cwradio
Registered Member

Geezer Glides

I love that one.

Don
cwradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #20
obandoj
Founding Member

It is the anti-lock brakes says Mr. Bob Laidlaw.

"You can grab this front brake as hard as you can hit the HANDLE and the wheel will not lock up" So what's new? You could never lock up the front wheel on a Harley, what with the most wooden and inneficient brakes in the industry, but they don't need no stinkin front brakes anyway, right? You go right over the HANDLES if you use the front brakes, they are pig, or should I say, hog slow anyhow, so who needs brakes!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote