Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 08-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: H-D #1 & 2 in ProStock

What modifications are made to pro-stock bikes? Are they normally aspirated?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2004, 07:32 AM   #2
Hector1
Founding Member

Those Pro Stock bikes have nothing in common with the Harleys at your fat cat dealer's showroom.

Similar relationship Neck car, I mean NASCAR, has with Ford, Chevy etc...
Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Only less so. I saw a mag article on this bike. NASCAR (the "S" is for "Stock", BTW) cars at least use motors based on actual production engines. The engine in this bike shares only its basic layout (60-degree V-twin) with the V-Rod. If memory serves, it's a 2600 cc pushrod motor.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Congrats to them, I'm sure they deserve it, but....

I know these bikes (all in the class) are modified to hell and back. It would be kool to get a write up on the bike, crew, racers, etc. Including a description of all the mods the bike gets (and maybe a primer on the rulles of the class, for those who don't follow drag bikes)

Just a sugestion to the kind folks at MO. See what you can do. Any story/interview/information on the racing world is usually an interesting one.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
bboule
Founding Member

Some of the bikes in this class are closer to stock than others.

H-D was given extra leeway to mod like mad compared to the other teams in this class. Most of the guys are running weird Suzuki blocks that are bored out, etc...

The H-D isn't even a H-D. Probably not a single H-D part on it. It's a 2.7 liter pushrod V-Twin that Vance and Hines carved out of a single block of Billet. It's Air cooled or not cooled, like a top fuel motor.

This is even more strange than the crazy Buell mods allowed, as the V-Rod if placed in the right competition would certainly be competitive close to stock.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

I'm sure it'll be a cold day in hell before a race team spill the beans about what they've done to an engine.

Dale Walker @ Holeshot Performance is pretty involved in drag racing, and has some cool old photo's and what-not, though his focus is on Suzuki Bandit's, not Harley.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
bigjames
Premium Member

Default You Don't Follow Bike Drag Racing, Do You?

If you did, you would know that NONE of the bikes are even remotely similar to their street counterpart. Just admit it, you just can't stand that HD is winning anything. On top of that, it has had a boat load of weight added to it to give the aging other designs a chance.....gice a break. The only thing the Big 4 bikes have in common with their street namesakes is the number of wheels and cylinders, just like the HD....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #8
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: You Don't Follow Bike Drag Racing, Do You?

James, you are correct on the level of mods on ALL of the bikes in the class. However, aside from name, the only thing Harley-Davidson about that V-Rod is the check that pays for the effort.

Vance & Hines designed, built and operate this VRod. V&H have been winners in almost every class they have ever raced in, including Pro Stock & Top Fuel Dragracing with Suzuki and recently HD, as well as in AMA Superbike with Yamaha and Ducati. -Sean
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
maladg
Founding Member

Default Re: You Don't Follow Bike Drag Racing, Do You?

Following this stuff for 34 yrs tells me this Big James - Sean has your number - period!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Enough already.

Will someone please change the main photo on the home page to something else besides the chick flipping the finger?