Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: You Don't Follow Bike Drag Racing, Do You?

Yep, 7 BAR and Touluene (sp?) Rocket Fuel ****tails with crazy intercooling setups and pit crewmen passing out everywhere from the fumes. I believe the BMW ran the highest boost, but the TAG/MClarens had a slight HP edge.

At 1,500H.P. those cars had full ground effects, 2' wide rear tires, 1mm suspension travel + tire sidewall deflection for compliance and a power to weight ratio of (get this) 1:1 Oh how I miss the heady times of F-1 between 1977 and 1995. The V10s might be brutally efficient, but mandating "V-10s only" was a big mistake.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: You Don't Follow Bike Drag Racing, Do You?

Yep, that was the formula. Couldn't the BMW's get over 1700 horsepower for qualifying? Ask Niki Lauda about that fuel (Super Rat).

I can think of only one other time in motor racing history that surpassed that period, the days of formula libre.

W125 Mercs and C-Type V-16 Auto Unions. 5 inch wide tires, 600 horsepower, and 750 kilos. I have a video (The Silver Arrows) that shows Bernt Rosemeyer in a constant wrestling match with that big steering wheel, as he slid all over the 'Ring in his C type.

Of course, my dad's M8F was no slouch either.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 PM   #24
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default schemin' ain't ya!

Y'all are holdin' off postin' that Sport-Tourin' shoot-out until my subscription runs out ain't ya?

I can just see sean now... He knows I've been waitin' for this thing ever since they dropped the first hint way back when... He's probly sittin' there rubbin' his hands together laughing his evil little laugh: heh-heh-heh

A pox on you!

Old 08-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #25
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D #1 & 2 in ProStock

Dumb comparison - Not a sport bike rider but, which do you think is closer, a sport bike from big 4 and track bike or an HD ProStock and any slow ride in the HD showroom? Next question: That toe taste good? Can you imagine what a HD PS bike would cost you assuming you could buy one. Can you imagine trying to keep it running? LOL
Old 08-26-2004, 04:44 PM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Enough already.

Yeah, you believe that s**t

I got out as a BT3, started out unloading coal trucks, worked my way up to shift supervisor at the UofW, changed jobs, now I operate and do plant maintainance for a Large Chicago Based Defense and Space manufacturer

I've been running boilers for 30 years, since I was 17
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: schemin' ain't ya!

The Sport Touring Shootout goes live Monday night. In the mean time, we just got a couple of bombshells from Kawasaki, so you'll have to wade through one last OEM new model release, before you get the ST story. -Sean
Old 08-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #28
Hipshot
Registered Member

Yeah, Eekadog, that's what I'm talking about, a V-Rod motor, tweaked a bit more, in a bike with Buell geometry. If I couldn't kill myself on that sucker, I'm good to go for a long, long time. I'm guessing around 130 HP in a frame about the weight of a 600cc rice rocket. Um-um-um. Sign me up. I'll keep my TC88 for when I'm recovering from damage.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 AM   #29
gbrummett
Founding Member

And the Japanese bikes in the same racing class are stock.

GIVE ME BREAK!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:00 AM   #30
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: v-rod + buell

It would be, but then they would have to increase to the price to 15K. If not a few of the V-Rod owners would figure it out and go hey, we got rigpped off, is the V-Rod chassis worth 7 more grand than a Buell chassis? Actually the Buell is worth more, even if the Harley and Discovery channel made it seem as some great feat even NASA would have been challanged. LOL