Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-29-2004, 04:26 AM   #81
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: PITA Facing The Facts...Huh?

Hey dude give it a break. I own a V-Max too. It has it's good and bad points, just like Harleys do. I found in motorcycling the only "cold hard fact" is ride what you like, and don't really worry about the rest. When one guy has a bike that is "superior" to all others, it's probably because his ego is firmly attached to the bike. Detach the ego and go ride and enjoy em all. I do.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2004, 04:29 AM   #82
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: The V-Four Harley You Never Saw

"A semi-exotic American sportbike would probably be pretty profitable to develop."

Actually, if they need to ***** away profits, I think they shoud develop a whole line of sportbikes and spend millions racing them. Maybe Ducati can buy them out too.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:42 AM   #83
sarnali
Founding Member

He seemed like such a nice young man.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:54 AM   #84
sarnali
Founding Member

So you like science fiction too, eh?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:23 AM   #85
sarnali
Founding Member

At that time AMF owned Harley. As for engineering, they upgraded the Shovelhead to AC instead of DC electrical system, developed the first factory "custom" line by mating a Sportster front end on to Electaglide, and added maintainance free hydrolic lifters, Harley also had two wheel disc brakes and electronic ignitions before anyone else. And had factory hard bags and a windshield/ fairing before anyone else. At the time these were innovative advances that we take for granted now

Harley pretty much invented the full dress touring bike as well as the custom cruiser style. And up until the Z-1 showed up the Sportster was one of the fastest bikes on the road. If you're going to judge and second guess the past you have to keep thing within the context of the times, not judge by todays standards. It wasn't innovation that put the Japanese ahead, it was cheap affordable bikes and *****-poor management in England.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:50 AM   #86
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Gee I guess I'll have to vote for him now.

If this is the thought process that is prevalent among the majority of voters (I fear it is) then we are doomed to become servants to the all-powerful nation-state no matter who wins (we are).
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 AM   #87
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: PITA Facing The Facts...Huh?

Sorry, did not mean to be so rude with rubbing in the facts, I just get tired of folks distorting the truth and even worse spouting off bogus statements of someone saying things which were not said or implied. V-Max is not superior to all bikes, just really good at what is was designed for. I don't even own a Max anymore but secretly want one again.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #88
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Unfortunately that would be the only reason to vote for him. Good to see you back Abe. I thought perhaps too many KP posts had driven you over the edge. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #89
seruzawa
The Toad

It was the overweening postwar arrogance of the victors of WWII that did themselves in. The Americans and Brits thought they could sell 30's technology powerplants and chassis forever.

American, Brits, Japanese, Germans.. all are capable of first rate engineering. It simply takes the will to do so. While the Americans and Brits were sitting on their laurels selling the same 30's tech they always had - and using planned obsolesence in an attempt to force consumers to turn over their junk vehicles even more often - the Japanese came on the scene with inexpensive vehicles that would run without breaking. And they began to incorporate the technological changes that were sidetracked for a couple of decades by WWII.

If anyone showed how not to maintain market domination in a changing economy it was the American and Brit auto and bike industries. I still remember how shocked everyone in my family was when my aunt bought a 1970 Datsun 510 and it ran an entire year without once needing a single repair. Unheard of!
Old 07-29-2004, 09:28 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

Actually, Kook reminds me of a Jack Vance fantasy universe... without any of the humor.