Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #41
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Four Harley You Never Saw

In that same parallel universe Vespa is making a fortune selling large displacement antiquated rotary valve inline-4 motocross bikes to 18 year olds who yearn for bikes with the classic styling of the 1940's. Their spokesman is Willie B. Hannah, who won the 1941 Motocross des Galaxies on a Vespa YR1000, beating the then-unstoppable Lambretta factory effort.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #42
Grover
Founding Member

Sadly, the "discoverer" of the parallel universe, Dr. Steven Hawking, has abandoned his theory and now agrees that black holes, instead of swallowing all the mass they suck in and spitting it out to a parallel universe, actually release all that mass at a later time in an unrecognizable form.

This is a major blow to all those science fiction writers and fans, and also to those who would like to believe that Harley might actually be winning road races somewhere. Which would of course be science fiction even if it wasn't occurring in a parallel universe.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 PM   #43
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: MO just ran a cool bike review...

I have been riding a r100gs for 14 years now, and it is my all time favorite do everything motorcycle. Had a r80gs new in 82, and loved it too. I believe the cylinder gaurds from the 100 will bolt up the the 80s frame. The r80 is a marginally better off road explorer, but lacks the punch of the r100 for two up touring with lots of gear. Buy it. You'll find that you will be riding more than your other bikes after you see how versatile it is. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #44
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

If a black hole sucked in Harley and spit it back out later as a race winning motorcycle, it would be in an unrecognizable form. VWW
Old 07-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #45
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, I'm going to check it out. Cosmetically, the bikes kind of rough, but it's going for a good price (blown fork seals, stuff like that).

What should I be looking for? I hear the drive shaft had some problems, something about a sleeve, or joint being prone to breakage (the universal?).

I always wanted one, after seeing an ISDT BMW up-close.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #46
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

No, I'm on an '04 R1150R... and very happy with it.

If you get that GS, I hope it brings you many happy and satifying miles.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #47
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

The drive shaft on the r100s have sealed universal joints that are prone to going out at inopportune times. I've found a couple of places that will refit the drive shaft with zerk fitted universals. the only thing major to look for on an r80 is the splines on the input shaft of the transmission should be lubed occasionally. If you feel that you need more power the cylinders and pistons from a r100 will slide right on to your cases. Other than the spline lube all of the other maintenance is a breeze. VWW
Old 07-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #48
schizuki
Founding Member

What did he ride before that, and why did he switch to the Harley?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #49
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, yeah.

>At that time V4's were the Next

>Big Thing and predictions of UJM

>fours fading away were pretty

>common.

Yep. I remember reading a preview of the then-new Honda Hurricane 600. The writer was surprised it was an inline and not a V. The I-4 was supposed to be dead.

35 years after the CB750 spawned the breed, the air-cooled I-4 cookie-cutter UJM has become the

liquid-cooled I-4 cookie-cutter UJS (Universal Japanese Sportbike). Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:13 PM   #50
flying_hun
Founding Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would someone flame you for offering a judgement that seems pretty obvious?

Around 1990, Kathleen Demitros, a V-P at HD spoke at my biz school and I asked her about the Nova. Her response was not too different from what you've written: They had to make a choice between the Evo and the Nova and recognized that the Nova would alienate their base and place them in a competitive situation with the Japanese that didn't favor HD. They chose the Evo instead.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote