Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: My prediction

Wouldn't that be an interesting story? Harley makes an air-cooled, pushrod V-twin. Yamaha (and later Kawasaki, but LC) makes one as well and are cursed for copying H-D. Yamaha (and Honda, in the past) make V-4 cruisers that don't exactly set the world on fire. Harley then makes a V-4 cruiser, proving the idea can work.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #22
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, yeah.

They HAVE been thinking about a V4 for along time. Rumors and spy photos of the Nova project have been around for years. The R&D for this took place in the mid '70's, about the same time Soichiro and the boys were developing the Interceptor and Sabres.

The differance is that Honda was making money and could afford to go out on a limb, AMF Harley couldn't. At that time V4's were the Next Big Thing and predictions of UJM fours fading away were pretty common
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:27 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Sort of like how V-twins are completely passe' today!!

Smart predictions!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #24
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Check the article again, HD was making money. Money AMF used to prop up the rest of its business.

HDs money problems came after the buy-out, with the excessive debt they had to aquired.

If I remember right (please correct me if not) HDwas in the red when AMF bought them, then went into the green afew years after the takeover.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #25
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: HAha!

Or....

He says...

Potato

Potahto (long 'A' here)

Potato

Potahto

Potato

Potahto

Let's call the whole thing off...!
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: The V-Four Harley You Never Saw, thankfully

Miserable commie s*****.

Like all those poor souls who had to polish the insides of CZ cases...

You know, I've seen that engine somewhere before...funny even back then, they went to Porsche, for the design.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 AM   #28
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Four Harley You Never Saw

How many times will this story get replayed???

Yep Harley missed an opportunity to show they could design and build what had the potential to be a bike with a real motor. Perhaps they could not get Porsche or some other company to show them how, like they had to do with the V-Max wannabe, the world renowned Discovery channel special V-Rod. Good thing I guess since Yamaha came along with the real deal, yep you guessed it 20 yrs, and still kicking a$$ V-Max. Long live V-boost.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 AM   #29
sarnali
Founding Member

The artical is pretty specific about the timeline, my take is that when Tom York became CEO of AMF he changed the corporate focus away from recreation including HD, and shifted more towards industreal products, leaving Harley flapping in the breeze. That led to the situation that allowed Beals and his partners to buy HD off AMF, though with limited rescourses they had to choose between developing the Evo or the Nova.

When AMF bought Harley in '70 they were pretty far in the hole, AMF saved their bacon at that time. After the buyback in '81 Ronnie Raygun put the import tariff on the Japanese manufacturers giving Harley enough wiggle room to get back to profitability and they've been off and running ever since.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 AM   #30
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: MO just ran a cool bike review...

You ride the Beemer enduro, right? How's that thing holding up?

I've got a line on an '80 GS. Has yours got 'zokes up front? This one does.

Just hope I don't get the cylinders stuck between some trees, up on Alamo Mt. Maybe some cylinder guards... 15 to zero in 1 second.