Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #71
Blue_Are1
Founding Member

Default But what about the future?

What happens to HD when the air cooled V-Twin cannot pass EPA regulations?

Does their financial statement say that HD makes a profit off their bikes and not just parts and accessories? I know it shows revenue growth but what is the profit margin on the bikes?

On a related note it seems that HD is reaching it's saturation point, a local stealer, one that has a long history of overcharging for new HD's was advertising new '04 models for less than MSRP. Could the gravy train on new bike sales be coming to an end for HD stealers?

I'd say that ever since old man Honda died the bikes coming from Honda have become more vanilla and boring. They seem to have no passion for design creativity, where as Yamaha have become the leader of the Japanese for styling followed by Kawasaki. Everything coming out of Honda has that Toyota Camry feel to me, they do the job but are visually unexciting especially compared to the competition. The new CBR's aren't bad, but the cruiser line just doesn't cut it when compared to HD, Yamaha or Kawasaki. The way it's going for Honda I could see them losing money on bikes at this point, the showrooms are getting clogged up with left overs.
Blue_Are1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2004, 03:52 AM   #72
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Harley did it again?

If the Queen had balls she'd be King, right?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:08 AM   #73
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Hawgs

Instead of cultural amnesia, I think ya just have amnesia. My 1976 Superglide stock had Kayaba forks, Mikuni carb, and after digging into the engine, many seals that were made in Japan, so those same crappy old Harleys had Japanese parts too. All that was way before there was tariffs or bankruptcy. No one works on anything or knows how anything works? Didn't that spawn a whole generation of Japanese motorcycle riders? Buy a bike you don't have to work on, and then when you do, send it to the junkyard. Let's go to the local boneyard and count the number of Japanese bikes to Harleys. Why don't you buy a thrashed Japanese bike for $750 and build that?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:21 AM   #74
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda bulletproof?

Yeah, he said it was something with the Primary.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:25 AM   #75
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda bulletproof?

Sucks for him. My Wing has only has a single recall for a possible over heating issue. I never had it overheat or even close to overheating, so no biggy for me.

Lucky Honda did not make him pay to have their known defects fixed like certain other manufacturers do.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 AM   #76
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Does anyone know when they are going to make another model around that Vrod motor? I thought I heard a while back they were going to make several different bikes around it.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 AM   #77
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Alls that is, is marketing. Harley has to be the most successful marketeer in the world. The reason you see so few Harleys in a junkyard is people are crazy for anything that says HD on it, they pay outrageous sums of money for it.

I am glad I am immune to such marketing ploys.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:41 AM   #78
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: Facts vs. Hype

What are you talking about? take a look at the post to which i replied. You ever wrote it!??!?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:43 AM   #79
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, we know Honda never markets their products. LOL Your GoldWing will still end up in the junkyard because not only is it of no value to you, but no value to anyone else either. My refrigerator has no marketing and is really efficient, but when it breaks it hits the garbage, just like your Honda. The only thing you seem to be immune to is emotion. I suppose if your motorcycle is an appliance, then all in the world is well for you.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:44 AM   #80
triumph900
Founding Member

I agree. The bike is "good" for riding. I had a 2004 1200R. I had to sell it, and I miss it. I have a Triumph Tiger and Speed Four, but truth be told, for a FUN weekend ride, I miss the HD.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote