Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley did it again? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/2453-harley-did-again.html)

mjs 07-15-2004 03:35 PM

Re: Harley did it again?

I have a ZRX and a new sportster 1200

Guess which one I like to ride whenever I get a chance

That's right, the more dated but more fun to ride HARLEY

Winger4Life 07-15-2004 04:09 PM

Re: Honda bulletproof?

lol. I only have about 11,000 on my 2002 Wing and not a single problem. My buddy, on the other hand, had his Brand new Low Rider for about two months before there were oil spots on his shed floor! LOL. My garage floor is clean!

Winger4Life 07-15-2004 04:12 PM

Re: Facts vs. Hype

Harley makes a ton of money becasue they never redesign their bikes. They must have made their money back about 30 years ago and now it is all gravy. If people line up to buy it, why change?

Honda sells more motorcycles world wide than any other maker...I would say they are doing quite well in the marketplace.

Winger4Life 07-15-2004 04:14 PM

Re: Yamaha MT01

and the first fuel injected bike was a Honda from way back... Harley cloned it of course. ;)

longride 07-15-2004 04:45 PM

Re: Facts vs. Hype

Since we weren't talking about "the marketplace" I guess you missed the point entirely. Wouldn't be the first time for you though.

longride 07-15-2004 04:47 PM

I had a buddy that had his new Wing recalled 3 times, 2 of which included a broken frame and overheating. We don't even want to talk about all the money he would lost to get rid of the junk. LOL

TatdNPrcd 07-15-2004 05:15 PM

Tell your buddy to get his low rider back to the dealer. It sounds like a pinched o-ring in the primary. I know they had a problem with that a couple years ago. I believe there is a shop bulletin on it. Once he gets that little sucker fixed he'll likely not have anymore problems at all. Do this of course only if you care about another non-wingnut motorcyclist.

pipnmali 07-15-2004 05:59 PM

why Hog-Pilots can't wave to you...

The bike is shaking too much - removing a hand would put the bike at risk of a crash. Its obvious the RIDERS aren't worried about crashing based on the level of "protective" gear they wear.

Now, before you yell and scream at me for being biased agains Harley riders (I do think the custom choppers are rather goofy-looking) - I met a couple of weekend warriors a few weeks ago. They were sooo proud of their gleaming Heritage Classics sitting outside of the doughnut shop. To hear them go on about them, and how much they love riding them - I've NEVER heard a sport bike rider go on and on about how much they love riding their bikes. These guys were having one Hell of a good time, so how can you fault that when no one else is getting hurt? These guys actually had SNELL-approved full-face lids and proper leather gear too, so they may even have a decent chance of surviving a crash.

So what if they don't wave? Who cares? Are other riders looking for validation from these folks by receiving a wave? Who knows. I think that the Hog-Pilots are having too good of a time on their bikes to even NOTICE other riders.

drenthc 07-15-2004 07:36 PM

Re: Hawgs

Japanese brands became more attuned to US needs all right...they sold their bikes at a loss to move product and gain market share. And if I remember correctly, Harley asked the tariffs be removed early and they haven't looked back since.

As for the Japanese parts on a Harley, I believe that the number of domestic suppliers they do business with far outnumbers the foreign suppliers. If you haven't noticed lately, we are in kind of a world economy and most motorcycle manufacturers are using foreign suppliers to an extent. Yes, Japanese bikes even use some American parts.

Welcome to the free market. If the market wasn't there, they wouldn't be making products to feed it. Until the market changes away from the current nostalgic formula, H-D has little pressure to change.