Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #11
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: Facts vs. Hype

You honestly think they would continue to sell bikes here if they weren't turning a profit?

What kind of business would do that? Not any that I know. The almighty profit comes before all else.

bboule is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2004, 05:24 AM   #12
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I'm not sure about the other Japanese motorcycle companies, but I know Honda does some sort of annual report for their worldwide sales. I saw a translated copy of it from 2002 or 2003 and according to it they lost money. I've tried to find a copy online but I can't. A stockbroker might be able to, though.

That might be typical of only Honda, though. Within the last two years they've done nothing but way overproduce and then discount every single bike they make. It's no surprise to me that they wouldn't turn a profit. However, one the flipside I'll bet that Yamaha turns a profit, probably mostly off their cruiser line, and maybe Kawasaki as well, since they've got quite a few models that were amortized years ago that still sell decently (Concours, their entire cruiser line, etc.)

Old 07-15-2004, 05:26 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

First, they make plenty of profit in other areas of the world. Second, they would do it to dominate a market. How else can they redesign a sport bike every 3 years and sell it at the same price? Answer: You can't.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:32 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Yamaha MT01

It is interesting to note the buzz about Yamaha introducing the MT01 which is a sporting motorcycle with an air-cooled pushrod motor in it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:37 AM   #15
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Why Japanese Companies DON'T issue earnings statements.

There is a simple reason why Japanese companies don't report earnings in press releases and it is this:

Foreign Companies trade on the US market in ADRs (American Depository Receipts) not US common stock. Therefore, there is no SEC requirement for them to publicly disclose earnings. Harley Davidson (a publicly traded US corporation) is required by law to disclose its earnings and balance sheet. Comparing Hondas legally required reporting practices with Harley DavidsonÂ’s is like trying to compare apples to sprockets.

The reason that Harley sends press releases to all the relevant media outlets, is so that Harley can put an intro and footnotes on the numbers that we would be able to get anyway by simply going to the publicly available report. If they didn't publish an immediate Press Release, we would go to the public record and post the earnings report without Harley having the benefit of making their own "Official" comment on the report in the form of a Press Release.

There is no conspiracy or cover-up here, it is just corporations doing business in accordance with the rules that govern their operations. -Sean

Old 07-15-2004, 05:42 AM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm fairly certain that I DON'T want to be winked at by a person who is wearing any form of chaps, ass-less, finger, arm, gerbal, fairing or otherwise.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:48 AM   #17
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha MT01

I personally think it's a really neat bike, but I doubt many people in the U.S. market would be into it.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 AM   #18
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Well, yeah. In Honda and Kawasaki's cases, they could afford to do it because they have other parts of their business that are much larger and that could support an unprofitable motorcycle business. Honda, in particular, could just be using its motorcycle business to promote its brand image to sell more cars.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 AM   #19
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley did it again?

Want more...Just released 2005 "New" model information...

Harley - http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040715/cgth006a_1.html

Buell -

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040715/cgth005a_1.html

I really like the Buell "City"...A city bike with no where to hang bags....

Same as always...BNG etc...
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default And why they COULD

That sounds good, only just because they don't HAVE to doesn't mean they can't. I understand Harley has to to this, but why wouldn't the Japanese companies do it anyway? The Euro companies report sales and profits all the time, and they are under the same rules as the Japanese, right? If they were making a killing here, you know damn well they would get the word out. In this case I still say no words say volumes. I never said it was a cover up, just wondering what the secret is if they are so successful.