Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-16-2004, 05:41 AM   #91
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: But what about the future?

Imagine that- a world without sportbikes! How will we survive without the yearly GSX-R1000 reviews?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #92
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hawgs

It's just you have a different type or rider, trying to project the same image, as the Harley riders of yore. Doesn't work, for me.

That's what I meant about "selling nostalgia".

It's the kind of person who trailers their Electra Glide to Sturgis. Arm chaps, and all.

Maybe I made a mistake when I said, "How bad they were". Everything was "bad", back then, before your AMF. Bad in the respect of inherent design flaws that made riding one, well, interesting. If you knew what you were doing, you fixed it, didn't "take it to the shop".

Actually, I think AMF got a bad rap. That's when most people think Harley started going down the tubes, but in my mind, that's when they started trying to "get it right". I'm sure a few people will howl at that one.

I was born in '55, and by the time I came of age, all the old Brit, Italian, and American bikes from the late fifties/early sixties were starting to wear out, and blow up, in great quantities. You could buy one for a song. People even gave them away. (Like a rat 61 cubic inch Knucklehead someone gave me, long ago, running).

I have a garage full of old Japanese bikes, most of them given to me in a basket, that now are all running, and looking pretty good. I drive 'em, and try to wear them out.

And if the price of an old hawg ever gets down to a reasonable level, I'll buy one of those, too. But you don't see too many rat Harleys putting around anymore, do you?

Old 07-16-2004, 07:07 AM   #93
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Facts vs. Hype

Sounds like you know very little about the way massive business works. They aren't looking for profit here, they are looking for investors. The hottest, newest bike every couple years brings in more investment money than the best selling bike every will.

Its a game.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:11 AM   #94
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: And why they COULD

They have nothing to gain by doing so, and a great deal to lose.

"Only fight battles that you have already won."
Old 07-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #95
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

To add to that, I'm sure all those 5 foot wings on import tuner cars are there for pure function. Lord knows you really need one on your unmodified Civic that tops out at 90mph.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #96
mile_eater
Founding Member

Actually,

Some of it has to do with the fact that the steal used to make the jap bikes was low grade american steel, that was not only poorer quality, but was also shipped a few thousand miles across sal****er.

GOOD THINKIN'!

That's why they started making their cars here.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #97
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Bull*****. You bought your Honda because you thought it was superior in some way to all the other similar bikes out there. Honda made you think that through marketing. No one is immune to marketing, no matter how much they desperately want to be.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 AM   #98
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Gotta gree with what you said. But, as far as the selling nostalgia, if they didn't they wouldn't be in business. I was born in 57, so we treaded over the same ground, I was just a few steps behind. I got my first Triumph for 300 bucks. Damn, I'm re-living the old days!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #99
seruzawa
The Toad

And just think how much that extra .5 hp helps them when they bolt on the fart can.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #100
seruzawa
The Toad

If you thnik the last American motorcycle of the 70s was poor quality just think about the American cars of the 70's.