Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-12-2001, 06:58 AM   #81
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: Water-Cooled Harley Discussion

Haru,

Unfortunately, I do know what you speak of. The hostility can and does go both ways, and I don't understand it either way. I guess that's something that has made me feel uncomfortable enough about the whole situation so that I've never been on a HD group ride or to a rally. (I don't tend to be a 'joiner' in the first place, but I also think I feel uncomfortable about the 'HD as religion' taste of the whole affair. Besides, I don't even own any leather.) HD as lifestyle is actively preached in HD publications, that's for sure. I just want a bike, thanks.

I am mystified by the almost blind devotion HD can inspire. HD does have a mystique and a HUGE heritage, there's no denying it; it can be very powerful for some people, and they are certainly willing to pay for it (and I don't see that as exploitation). They are more than welcome to it; I just wish a lot of them didn't need everyone else to have it too.

I have very much enjoyed my Sportster Sport-- it's a fun bike, and it's been fun to watch the attention it generates at stoplights and in parking lots. I have a deposit on a Yamaha FZ1, though, because I've been wanting something different. It is striking that I'll be able to sell my '97 Sportster and use the money to buy a brand-new bike that handles better (for what I want) and has twice the HP, with money left over. (A new Aerostich RoadMaster?!?) The FZ will not have that amazing value retention, but I'm not making a financial investment here.

I can appreciate your disapproval as an engineer, but as a consumer you have to admire that in this free market of ours, people willingly go to great lengths and MUCH expense to own a Harley Davidson. HD does what it does amazingly well. Those who deride HD bikes because they're slow and don't have a 49 degree lean angle are entirely missing the point.

It's interesting that you are disappointed in other people's obsession-- why? Isn't that the same vein (if not at a very different level) as people giving you crap because you don't ride a Harley? Why do we (me included) have to judge others' decisions and values? You don't feel that Harleys are deserving of obsession, other people obviously disagree. I can say for certain that I don't understand that obsession, even after buying one to see what it was all about, but I certainly don't judge anyone for it. (It's a good thing too, or my Dad and I wouldn't have much to talk about. He had to think long and hard before he said he was 'okay' with my fall from grace.)

I think if we all spent a little time looking at where we try to map our values and attitudes onto others we'd have more fun. It's very sad that you get crap from your should-be brothers. Very sad. The world is too small and life is too short.

I understand there's some great riding up your way-- after I get the FZ, maybe you could show me some of it (I'm in Northern VA).

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2001, 07:02 AM   #82
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy American?

Have to agree with what was said, H-D has a serious racing history but it was "a long time ago", that HD-KR road racers where winning races!!!

H-D's nature is "cruiser" and their motor design proves that. Again it works great on a dirt oval but how often do YOU ride on a dirt oval??

Ducati/Aprilia are V-twin's and they compete in "today's" highest level of Superbike racing, the VR1000 has been a total "back of the pack" finisher since it debuted in AMA Superbike racing. H-D has never had the company moxie to take the VR1000 racing in "World Superbike", they'd be crushed and humiliated quickly.

For Buell to be a serious sportbike, H-D the motor company must quit using the "cruiser mindset" and think about what makes a serious sportbike work, yes they need to find a niche and it will take work and money, personally, I don't think H-D/Buell really "Want's" to build such a bike, JMNSHO.

BJ Ondo

80 Suzuki GS1100E

Colorado-USA
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 07:18 AM   #83
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: Water-Cooled Harley

I see your point. It is true I do not plan to go to the local Harley shop and announce that I'm selling my Sporty to get an FZ; nor do I plan on taking it down there to show it off when I do. But it is also true that at that very same shop I saw the service manager (who truly looks the "I'll rape your grandmother" part) go WAY out of his way to help a guy on a 'jap bike' who limped in with a flat. (Maybe the service manager figured if he had the 'nads to come in and ask for help, he must be okay.)

I have personally been 'dissed' very few times while waving at other riders, whatever they've been on, but that may change when I get the new ride. It will be an interesting experiment. (LOL about the mopeds! I don't wave at 'em either, which I guess makes me a big-assed hypocrite.)

I guess I can talk about why stereotypes are invalid and bad all I want to, but that doesn't make them go away, and I'm not really as naive as I must come off. I just know that the high I get from riding to work lasts almost until lunch, at which time I start thinking about the ride home. Everyone should be able to have that.

I think it's all good, and we're all brothers, and I intend to treat everyone this way until given a concrete reason to do otherwise. Now where the heck did I put that Prozac??

-Tom

Old 01-12-2001, 07:54 AM   #84
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Hold on Mr. Fashion King

No, I suggested that some Harley riders seem to ride and dress in emulation of the 1%'ers. Do you deny that? Some of these new entries to motorcycling seem to buy Harleys and dress a certain way because they want some of that outlaw biker persona. I know that most Harley riders aren't 1%'ers, but many seem to want to be perceived as such. I just think that's pathetic, like playing dressup, and what does it have to do with riding for the enjoyment of it?

I'm not worried about Harley riders' personas. I really don't care what they do. I just find it rather amusing to see a 50 yr old middle manager dressing like an outlaw biker. When I dress to ride, I don't look like I'm trying to be something that I'm not. I stand by my comments about some Harley riders, but I may have been a little off-base in my comments about racing leathers.

BTW, I respect Harley owners who actually ride the things like they were meant to be used. When I see someone touring on an unfaired Big Twin, I'm somewhat impressed.

Really, what it comes down to is that there are riders, and poseurs. Cruisers and race-replicas seem to attract more than their fair share of both. That's what I was trying to say, basically.

Sorry about the "Jackoff" comment, that was unnecessary, even though the tone of your message, which I was replying to, was not respectful.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:00 AM   #85
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Get with the system, punk!!

ROTFLMFAO!
Old 01-12-2001, 08:07 AM   #86
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

I guess my point was that riding the same bike that everyon else rides, but with a set of tassles hanging from the levers doesn't make anyone really different anymore than me putting the obligitory "pissing Calvin" sticker on my pickup truck makes me any different from all the other Dodge truck owners. There are just as many aftermarket parts for Jap bikes, only most are performance oriented. My point is that if the vast majority of big cruisers are, in fact Harleys, how COULD you be very different? Just FYI, I am not a fan of the Jap clones. Ths Japanese seem to have missed the styling boat in most cases. However, I like the new Yamaha big twin. And no, it's NOT a Harley clone. It takes more styling cues from WWI-WWII radial aircraft engines.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:38 AM   #87
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: The point being made was that it

Hey, welcome to the wacky world of news groups!

-Tom
Old 01-12-2001, 08:41 AM   #88
Haru
Founding Member

Tom,

you've made a very good point. I guess I should not judge harley riders. In fact, I rarely do. Over all, my disappointment is with the harley phenomenon, not the bikes or their riders as such.

That said, its not something that I obsess with as so many others do. It is merely something that I thought about and expressed. In the end, I guess, my concern solely should be how I get treated by other riders. I always wave at other riders, regardless of what they're on. Harley riders rarely wave back. When they do wave, it makes me very happy because here is some one who doesn't have his head up his butt. like I said, I'll ride with anyone who'll leave the bad attitude at home.

I just moved here a couple of months ago and haven't gone looking for good roads yet. I moved from Blacksburg, VA.

I think the skyline drive/blue ridge pkwy would be awesome if it didn't have the 45mph limit or droves of retired folk putzing along its length all the time....

I am often in NoVa. In fact I bought a Miata in Arlington last night and I am going back today. We should hook up some weekend once riding weather returns.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:54 AM   #89
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Saga ends

Yeah, same here, I do my posting at work, mostly, and I may tend to blow steam off at other posters. You sound like an intelligent guy, we'd probably enjoy a little ride together. I ride a ZRX1100, btw.
Old 01-12-2001, 09:24 AM   #90
TBones
Founding Member

I've done Skyline/Blue Ridge end-to-end, and I ended up having to work very hard at appreciating the scenery (which is awesome) so that I wouldn't chew my throttle hand off in frustration. That road just begs for peg scraping, but you'd end up with a ticket, in the back seat of some retiree, or with a deer headlamp ornament, or all three if you did.

We should hook up, that would be cool. I suppose I can ride with you even if I'm still on the Sporty...

-Tom