Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-11-2001, 05:10 PM   #71
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Close-minded, or Self-righteous, or Insecure?

To answer your questions...

1. None of the above. I'll go with a Mustang.

2. None of the above. Camping on my bike, anywhere pretty with lots of twisty roads.

3. ALL of the above. Someday. *sigh*

See?! It DOES make life interesting.

Don

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2001, 03:04 AM   #72
Pablo008
Founding Member

Default Re: Water-Cooled Harley Discussion

A V65 Magna. Man that's a rocket! Give me a break.
Pablo008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 03:35 AM   #73
TBones
Founding Member

Sure, we could talk about herd mentality. There's a lot of it around. I see it in a lot of Harley riders, and I see it in a lot of 'street racers.' Humans are a social animal, and many like to meld their identities with that of a group. Some get themselves a personality that way.

I agree with your observation about rugged individualism. I too find it interesting that some of the people who view themselves as the rugged loner type stick closest to the 'pack.' However, I don't see that as a reason to judge folks. I guess that is my basic point. So what if they do? Are they hurting you or yours?

My personal motto is "It's all good." I truly believe that. I wave at and talk to everyone on two wheels, and I stop to help anyone who seems to need it. I don't care what they're riding.

And BTW, 'congitive dissonance' refers to inner conflict caused by a difference between perception and reality; unless all these people are conflicted by their self-image, I don't think that's quite what you mean.

-Tom

(PS - Nope. You'll need another pigeon hole for me.)
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 03:48 AM   #74
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Hold on Mr. Fashion King

Hey, jackoff, for one thing, stereotype is one word. In case you missed it, the writer I responded to says he just rides for the enjoyment of it. To quote that person again: "Among Harley riders, the "alcoholic ex-convicts with prison tattoos and gang affiliations" are known as the "one-percenters" because that's about the portion of riders they actually represent. " And all the other Harley riders are emulating their style. You guys want people to think that you might be one of those 1%'ers.

Ah, why don't you go polish your lifestyle accesory?

ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 03:48 AM   #75
Haru
Founding Member

Tom,

you are very right. Anybody who rides should be my brother. However, I live in York, PA and there is a harley plant here where all the softails, sportsters, and tourers are built. I ride a Ninja, and the amount of crap I get from people here because its not a harley is shocking. A harley riding superior at work said to me, " Rather my sister in a *****house than my brother on a Ninja."

My problem with Harley is the company's explotation of the unreasonable obsession that so many people have with the brand. Harley sells more streetbikes in the US than any one else, they spend little money on motorsport, on R&D, their engineering and construction quality is indifferent at best, and yet they keep charging exhorbitant prices because their customers are happy paying big $ for a thoroughly mediocre product to be part of a cult, for something that is ephemeral.

I am an engineer,a consumer, a rider, and an observer. I disapprove of Harley Davidson because they undermine everything that I, as an engineer, hold sacred. As a consumer, I disapprove of their charging exhorbitant prices that cannot be justified considering the R&D, quality, and manufacturing scale. As a rider, I resent the aggression that most harley fans (owners and not) direct toward me. As an observer, I am disappointed in people's obsession with something that is undeserving of it.

All that said, i would still love to ride with any Harley owner if he/she left the attitude behind.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 03:57 AM   #76
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: So we have a sociology major here...

And what percentage of those guys do you think have ever actually participated in an organized racing event? Right, exactly. But then there are track days, I'll admit. Look I said race leathers are functional, I just think a lot of guys buy them and wear them on the street for the look as much as anything. I stand by my statement that dragging knee on the street is stupid, and knee sliders look stupid when you're walking around. Why not take them off when you're not at the racetrack? They're usually only held on with Velcro.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 04:28 AM   #77
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: Water-Cooled Harley

Try going to the Harley events on your FZ1 and see how nice the Harley guys are to you then.

Here's another:

Rise past a guy on a Jap bike while on your HD. Wave. Repeat. See what percent of them wave back. Ride past a guy on a Harley while on your FZ1. Wave. Repeat. See what percentage waves back. I've found the "bikers" a lot less tolerant of riding machinery than the "squids". Too bad we're so divided, because I'll wave at ANYBODY, regardless of brand. Well, except for them guys on the mopeds....

Fact is though, I've stopped more times to help guys with Harleys, than I've had to for Jap bikes. One guy dropped his Sporty at the gas station while I was there filling up my GSXR, and after I offered to ride home to my house for tools if needed, he seemed more interested in avoiding being seen getting help from a "Jap Biker". Sad.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 04:37 AM   #78
Twitch
Founding Member

Overwhight, oversized. Hey, its a harley, whats the problem??
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 06:01 AM   #79
fwalters
Founding Member

Default Re: what a lousy way to disguise a test bike

I'm going to paint my VFR flat black and call it a Harley test bike.

fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 06:47 AM   #80
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: Looks Awful Familiar/Buell Please update the motor

Humm, but it's the "motor" that is the problem with the current Buell's! They've got the sportster motor so "on the edge" in it's current state of "tune" in the Buell's, that the motor breaks different parts of the bike! That would tell me that it's "past time" to think about a total re-enginnering of the motor, JMHO.

Maybe water cooling isn't needed but why can't Buell use some of the "TC-88B" twin cam w/balancer tech. to quell the vibrations and stress from the sporty motor so it's reliable?? Maybe the German/USA motor is the future for at least Buell.

It's just too bad there's so much "harley mindset" at Buell, cause the bikes are "so totally different", in there rider's usage it would make sense to "build a different motor for the sporting/sport touring Buell's, JMNSHO.

BJ Ondo

80 GS1100E Suzuki

Colorado-USA
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote