Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #151
webdev511
Registered Member

Default GM Own Saab, Ford own Volvo

GM owns Vauxhaul (UK) Opel (Germany) and countless other European "brands"
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2003, 04:37 PM   #152
955i1340
Founding Member

Default Re: Water-Cooled Harley Discussion

Let's see if Honduh is almost as cool at 100 as HD. Harley tested water cooled and shaft drive when we were fighting Japan at war. How come you never see really old japanese bikes restored?
955i1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #153
955i1340
Founding Member

How come sooo many japanese companies copy them. The main selling points for Cruisers from the big 4 are how much it looks and sound like a real HD. And every neighbor that lays down and takes it in the rear and buys one of those impostors says "it looks just like a Harley" Believe me their girlfriends know the difference. I hope you dont mind when I take your girl for a ride, dont mind if she gets rode hard and comes back wet.
955i1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #154
baddog_1
Founding Member

Default Drive train debate

I have a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak which has a shaft drive system. I have heard from some of my friends that ride Harleys that a belt drive is far superior to a shaft system. Certainly shaft drive has advantages over chains from a maintenance prospective but is there really a difference in handling and feel between a shaft and a belt?

Also, I read that a 1.5 inch belt can only handle about 100 hp and that the belt width is directly related to the amount of hp you are pushing to the back wheel is that a real consideration? I have seen numerous cruiser bikes with 1.5 inch belts and engines that supposedly turnout 110 - 130 hp.

baddog_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 PM   #155
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Somehow I think this entire thread has missed the point.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:54 PM   #156
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Default Re: a real harley sportbike

You know call me crazy, but I can't imagine anyone building a competitive sport bike based on the same engine used in any cruiser.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:24 AM   #157
unyalli
Founding Member

You have it right in the cross hairs partner. Unreal how many people don't understand there's MUCH more to motorcycling than limited topics like lean angles and top speeds. Wonder if they've ever seen that sticker on Jeep windshields "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"? Well, with Harley is the same but now that their chasing the Japanese instead of leading this could all go to hell right quick. I own a Honda Valkyrie and a BMW K1200GT which has some of the most advanced technology out there but wouldn't have Harley fix something that just ain't broke. You can go 100,000 trouble free miles on the current Harley tourers in total comfort all the while netting 50+ MPG. I will be trading my Valkyrie on a Road Glide this spring as the road glide is vastly superior where it counts.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #158
YELLOW-DUC
Founding Member

Default Tire Question

I own a 2002 Ducati 998. I took it in to the dealer for a service last week. Along with the service I asked them to put on two new tires. When I picked the bike up they had installed Michelin Pilot road tires. I didnt think much of it and I have since ridden the bike, broke the tires in and gotten them over to the edge with no slipping or problems of any kind. However I was looking through a bike mag today and saw an add for Michelin pilots. It said the Pilot road tires are Sport touring tires. It doesnt make sense to me that my dealer would put sport touring tires on this bike. Does anyone in here know anything about these tires? Are they good tires for my bike?

Charles Armstrong, aka.... the KID

http://www.autoartbythekid.com
YELLOW-DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #159
YELLOW-DUC
Founding Member

Default Re: Tire Question

I apologise........ I got into the wrong forum. If you know anything please e-mail me, otherwise please excuse my ignorance.

Charles
YELLOW-DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #160
paul246
Founding Member

Actually, during WW2 Harley copied the BMW R71, nearly bolt for bolt and called it the XA. Just like they copied Indian designs. Still, glad they called upon Porsche to develop the Revolution engine.
paul246 is offline   Reply With Quote