Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-22-2001, 06:46 AM   #111
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Default Re: Water-Cooled Harley Discussion

This is great news. A Harley engine with great power and modern technology hopefully brings the one thing missing from Japanese, Italian and British water-cooled engines. DESIGN!!

The air-cooled V-twin is (in my humble opinion) the most beutiful engine ever designed. It is an engine that should be left uncovered for the world to see.

The water-cooled engines on the other hand are usually rather ugly and are thus covered up.

I for one love the naked "street-fighters" or the semi-nude sport-tourers. I even own a Triumph Sprint RS which falls into the latter category. I love to see the heart of the machine but not even I can call the RS-triple beutiful.

Now imagine an engine with the looks of a classic V-twin and the power/quality of a RC51 or Aprilia Mille engine. Now that would be something to but on a real "hooligan". Jummy!!!!!
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2001, 06:18 PM   #112
MarkL
Founding Member

Hungry, cold, in the dark, go hunt down your local enviro-nazi. Im so sick of these EPA hacks it isnt even funny. You can have my air cooled Hog after you pry my 45 outta my cold dead hand.
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 01:31 PM   #113
Yamahog
Founding Member

A-men, long overdue chance to make some good power and improve reliabilty.

Maybe a 5 year warranty!
Yamahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 03:39 AM   #114
SamBlob
Founding Member

<blockquote>against harley - softail - i wanna be a vincent (rear suspension that is) </blockquote>

Go, Brough!

Didn't the Brough Superior have a similar rear suspension before Vincent?

OTOH, Brough Superior used Springer forks built by Castle under licence from H-D...

Maybe H-D should build a stainless steel sports Springer called the Superior...
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:05 PM   #115
nome
Founding Member

I would think that Harley would introduce water cooling in the Sportser line before risking the sales at the top level. Plus I have always read that water cooled engines are cheaper to produce. It would be nice to see a 1200cc bike,from Harley,be a real alterative to the TC88 for those of us who are in need of more power. Though I don't know of anyone who wants a Harley for any reason other than the look and name(sorry even myself) and sound! So if for less money you can buy more power now, there has to be more to it than just making a better motorcycle. Beware of the "New Coke" phenomenon. Doesn't matter if it's better, you shouldn't be worrying about taste tests anyway!
nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 03:32 PM   #116
TCAir
Founding Member

I don't own a sport bike, you inconsiderate jerk. I was a motorcycle mechanic in a very busy Honda dealership. After having put the overly vibrating, overpriced, P.O.S.'s back together to sell to some other unsuspecting idiot, you get kind of sick of seeing them and everyone praising them. No my experience doesn't come from owning one, it comes from fixing everyone elses.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:54 AM   #117
R90Sfan
Founding Member

Let's see now ... VFR750, VFR800, RC30, RC45. Looks to me like they're worth a lot.

You guys can talk all you want how well Harleys hold their resale value, but when you open the classifieds and see literally a hundred Harleys, eventually the law of supply and demand will catch up.
R90Sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:59 AM   #118
R90Sfan
Founding Member

Default Re: Can

IF you do all of that, then you don't know the meaning of the words customer service.

IF Harley's corporate customer service department tells you to "buy a competitor's bike," then you don't know the meaning of the words customer service.

IF you have dealers lieing to you about not being able to sell you a bike because you don't live in "their market area" and IF your corporate customer service says there's nothing they can do about that, then you don't know the meaning of the words customer service.

IF you have dealers who act like you're bothering them when you walk in the door, then you don't know the meaning of the words customer service.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:01 AM   #119
R90Sfan
Founding Member

Honda was building GP-winning SIX cylinder bikes in the 60s. I doubt they needed Porsche to teach them how to build a FOUR cylinder.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:21 AM   #120
garyphx
Founding Member

Hmm. I'm garyphx--not another squid. We seem kinda hidebound by our brand loyalty in motorcycling. I like the look of the v-twin, and would love to buy American; but don't like my feet far forward (or back, for that matter)--or truckish steering. I've sat on a SV650, but am not fond of the big fishbowl tank ala the current sportbikes. You'd think with all their money, Harley would systematically enter other bike categories...Make a standard v-twin similar in size/weight/price to the SV650 and I'd happily get off my '80's UJM...

Additionally, with all their recalls, I'm leery of Buell at the moment. Erik Buell strikes me as a good honest guy, but his product isn't quite there yet, in quality or styling...
garyphx is offline   Reply With Quote