Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 06-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #61
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Early Release 2005 Sportsters

But don't you understand, Seruzawa? It's okay to buy a $10,000 GSX-R1000 and enhance it's performance more with $5000 worth of performance mods you will never feel, and put on full roadrace leathers ($1000), the Rossi replica helmet ($700), gloves and boots ($300), a back protector ($200) and pose at the Rock Store or at Deal's Gap. But by God, you'll never be fooled by the evil marketing empire of H-D into wasting $17,000 on a motorcycle.

Uh-oh, Suzuki just made a GSX-R1000 with 5 more horsepower! Better rush out and spend another $10,000 to get this one, or the other guys will think you actually enjoy owning that girl's bike from 2004.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #62
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Sporkster catch & release

I think Harley has the American public nailed, and it shows in the development of their bikes. Basically I think Americans buy into image before anything else, and more than just a motorcycle, Harley is selling their image. I think a part of the reason they don't put in the Buell motor, or make the wholesale changes they are capable of to make their bikes better, comes down to the idea that the American will accept only incremental changes as opposed to shifting the entire paradigm of what a Harley is. Also, they probably make a killing on "customizing and personalizing" through their screaming eagle catalog. The whole equation may be a bit more complicated than that, but I just don't feel like exploring it any further.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #63
mile_eater
Founding Member

I'd say you nailed it. The idea that a company with the money that harley has can do anything it wants. If they want to hire some engineers and design a race replica, they can.

But they are to smart for that. It would be like... Maker's Mark turning out a bunch of beer.

Yuk.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #64
mile_eater
Founding Member

Wait wait..

So when HD panders to it's demographic by... well... just being Harley... that's bad. But..

When honda and Kawi pander to their demographic by designing cookie cutter replica's... that's good.

hrmm... You sound like the kind of guy who complains about high taxes, then votes for democrats.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 AM   #65
mile_eater
Founding Member

hrmm.. I seem to be arguing on both sides of the fence here... but...

I've never seen a hot chick on a harley. It's my experience that old fat chicks like harley's, and young hot chicks dig sportbikes.

I ain't slammin' HD mind you... I happen to like both. The bikes are built for different reasons. I just don't see what the conflict is about.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #66
nokneedragin
Founding Member

No disagreement on the marginal improvements/BNG anouncements being usless too.

HD could have saved time by saying "check out the sportsters at our web site, thier basically the same , thanks"

But most press releases leave me wondering how the people who write them actually talk in real life.

Man comes through door

"Honey, I'm home. The man you saw this morning, is now all improved, I have a 5oclock shadow that gives me the rugged good looks you like, and I've had 5 beers, to loosen me up, just for your pleasure"

All press releases generally are just sad add copy.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 AM   #67
sarnali
Founding Member

I've been wondering that myself, longride. In fact why have Buell at all as a seperate line?

They could use the current 883 based Sporty as an entry level bike then go back to the old designation of XLH for a Roadster and Custom model with Buell/Sportster engine Then use the XLCH Sportster designation for whats basicaly the Buell Lightening now. The full on Firebolt could be the XL1200.

That solves the problem of Harley dealers non-support of Buell and it brings the Sportster back to it's historical position as Harleys performance bike with some serious 'nads

I think I'll give Willi G a call..........
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #68
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default 7 dwarf - troll posts

Someone with more time and interest then I needs to take a count of how many of these posts are from one of the 7 Dwarfs or the Ugly Troll.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #69
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Agreed. Most of them are worthless.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:26 AM   #70
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Exactly.