Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 06-30-2004, 11:09 AM   #111
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: RIII

They had one at I-90 motorsports a few weeks ago for a mechanics training session, I checked it out pretty good there. It's a pretty impressive bike fer' sure. sitting on it it fells like it weighs 400lbs instead of 6~700. It sounded muted with the stock exhaust but I'm sure there will be an "off road pipe" before long.

I might have to get in line after all!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #112
Batrachian
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley Early Release 2005 Sportsters

You're mistaken about the chassis of the respective bikes. The V-Rod has an ultra-modern hydroformed perimeter spaceframe design, whereas the Sportster has an archaic downtube design that is essentially the same as the first true motorcycles almost 100 years ago. As for being a better all-around design, no one is going to throw saddle bags on either bike. They're both cruisers. At least the V-Rod has the muscle to back up the style.

The Sportster is what it is: an entry level HD. The V-Rod is a spaceship on two wheels.
Batrachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #113
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Come and get yer smackdown

Is this an excuse for you to appear manly with training wheels?
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #114
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: Come and get yer smackdown

Just wait until you see my unobtainium studded codpiece!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 PM   #115
anrajala
Founding Member

Well I am a fan of Harleys, sort of, I have a Fat Boy. But those new and revised are exactly the same I was riding apart from the rubber mounts.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #116
ewok1
Founding Member

Default other current bad bikes?

in 1995 i got remarried. to celebrate my impending loss of singleness and because i needed the money to buy a ring, i sold an expensive car i no longer needed (you know, to compensate). after erring on the side of gross, not net on the two month rule, i had 6 grand left. so i decided to buy a harley to see what all the fuss was about. 6 grand got me a 2 or 3 year old sportster. man, that was a horrible motorcycle. gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

here is what i wonder. are their any really bad bikes being sold new today? i haven't ridden one lately. i wonder if anyone else has gone to a showroom, test ridden a new bike, got off and said, "you gotta be kidding, who would buy this pos?".
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #117
anrajala
Founding Member

Well you have some 6k extra in your pocket. The big Harleys are actually good and you'd get better experience on them. That difference you can't credit yourself. But the Sporster is a real dog, there your comparison pretty much stands.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:19 PM   #118
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: other current bad bikes?

I would have said the same about the Sportster, but since '04 it's a MUCH better bike. Not many modern bikes I'd call an outright POS, but I could make a pretty good laundry list of performance/design problems that I'm astonished made it into the production model. The Guzzi California EV's kickstand, the V2Ks rear suspension, the Duc 999s mirrors......
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:32 PM   #119
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: other current bad bikes?

"here is what i wonder. are their any really bad bikes being sold new today?"

Any bike from a company that has "Chopper" in its name.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #120
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: RIII

I hope lots of people feel the way you guys do. Because I think the RIII is the second round from the double-barrel shotgun that's going to kill Triumph (the TT600/Daytona 600 being the first.)

The TT600 shoulda been a Triple. The RIII shoulda been - well- anything else those R&D dollars could have bought.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote