Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   I am going to rent a Harley, what model should I get? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/2429-i-am-going-rent-harley-what-model-should-i-get.html)

Steven_Verschoor 06-22-2004 09:02 AM

Re: How about an R1150GS or a Goldwing?

Doh! Just noticed there's a one-time $130 prep fee. Still, if you average that out over three days, it works out to about $170 per day.

acecycleins 06-22-2004 09:10 AM

Re: I am going to rent a Harley, what model should I get?

If your doing any distance go for a flht model. If you want to rag on a hd you don't own then rent a v-rod (best handling hd outside of the fxr). But if you want a bike for both world call a BMW dealer in your desired area. Most rent bikes but they rarely advertise it.

Kirk

bradbarker738 06-22-2004 09:42 AM

Super Glide. It's the most basic "big harley" but it has a neutral seating position--very good for long rides.

ronssito 06-22-2004 09:45 AM

None.....Rent a BMW! no flames intended, just my experience.

I rented a '04 FLSTFI FatBoy in Honolulu last year. Sure I looked cool on it, but what a piece o' stuff to ride. Poor handling, braking, range and of course nobody rides a Harley to go fast. My R1150GS Adventure is a far superior motorcycle in every real, measureable way.

It was fine for slowly cruising the boulevard.

I know...I'm probably an idiot.

BMW4VWW 06-22-2004 10:50 AM

The seat on the touring FXDX is much more suitable for two up touring than standard model. I was unaware that it had been discontinued, as I don't pay that much attention to the year to year offerings from HD. VWW

seruzawa 06-22-2004 12:16 PM

I can't imagine what else you'd do in Honolulu than slowly cruise through traffic. I think that they still frown on riding motorcycles on the beach or sidewalk there.... unless you run down a Hare Krishna or two.

As far as "superior in every measurable way" the BMW does not win in the coveted "yanky my cranky" venue of multiple orgasms for passengers. At least that's what my wife says.

seruzawa 06-22-2004 12:20 PM

You only need to check the Harley line up every 10 years or so.

sarnali 06-22-2004 02:58 PM

We're heading down to Bend in August for the PNW Rat Raid, I imagine it'll be warm enough

We do the loop through the Columbia gorge and back up through Eastern Washington a couple of times a year and it gets into the hundreds out there, you get a nice nuclear tan going past Hanford then you try'n run over rattlesnakes and tumbleweeds on the way back. I like riding in the desert, the heat does get me though.