Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Them's fightin' words!

Just got the Glide out last week! New Crane cam, pinion and breather gears, S&S oil pump, S&S carb. Replaced the Bendix it had on it. 2 boots straight out of the basement and away I went. Runs fookin sweet. Besides, I did the top end last year. New S&S heads, barrels, pistons went on. You need one!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #42
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: I am going to rent a Harley, what model should I get?

AKA the Dyna Super Glide T-Sport, if they still have them. That model has been discontinued, and I'm pretty sure Eagle Rider only rents current year bikes. You might find an FXDX (aka Dyna Super Glide Sport), which is the same bike without the fairing and bags.

I'd second the recommendation for a Road King (or, by extension, an Electra Glide). They have better lean angles before dragging parts than most Harleys, and they really handle surprisingly well. Of course, they feel like they're going a lot faster than they really are.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #43
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, and it didn't get moderated out!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

A Shovelhead might just be on the horizon now with the used Harley market finally beginning to soften. A friend of mine just got a '98 DynaGlide for 9G's with 15K on the clock in Dago.

Are you able to get it to idle worth a damm with the S&S carb?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #45
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't rent a hardly! Rent a goldwing and travel in comfort. Perform Vs. Pose!

Did you call a Honda Dealer in the area?
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #46
theDuke
Founding Member

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I had sold my BMW and wanted to join some friends for a weekend ride. The local Harley dealer (in Oakland, CA) rented bikes and I took a Heritage Softail for the weekend. It was the newer Twin-Cam model so the vibration really wasn't bad at all.

I didn't particularlylike the tall handlebars on that bike and would have preferred the Fat Boy seating position (one of my friends rented one of those and we swapped for a few miles).

One of the other guys rented a Road King and ended up buying one a few months later.

All told, I enjoyed the Softail a lot and found it to be nice on the freeway and in the curves. It also had a large seat and a small sissy bar and I suspect it would have been comfortable for a passenger.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

New "E" carb idles real good. Only took me about 10 minutes to dial it in. 100% better than the damn Bendix, which I had to adjust on every ride. Got tired of carrying a screwdriver in my pocket with that one.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #48
dsouthard
Founding Member

If you are renting in SF, there are other options besides HD (though their fleet isn't too varied, aside from some of the older BMW hardware):

<blockquote>

dubbelju

</blockquote>

I seem to recall hearing from a friend that the BMW dealership rents some models as well, but can't locate any info at the moment. [And the rental may be more of a $200/day test drive.]

dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #49
Steven_Verschoor
Founding Member

Default How about an R1150GS or a Goldwing?

Looks like you can get unlimited miles for about $125 per day (3-day minimum): Moturis.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #50
tooslow
Founding Member

Go with the Road King.

I generally ride a sportbike - ZX6R - and have done a large number of long 3000+ trips. I did a 3300 mile, 9 day trip with my wife on a Gold Wing rented from Moturis. It was a great bike at medium and high speeds, and so comfortable my wife actually fell asleep for a portion of the ride up I-5. The problem was it was painful at low speeds; very difficult to control.

I borrowed a friend's Road King the other weekend, and gave it two solid rides down through Woodside and up and down the coast on Highway 1 - both with and without the windshield. I was very impressed. It handled extremely well at low speeds, and was an easy ride at anything under 80 mph. Twisties were no problem - but of course I had to pick and hold a good line - and the thing had a tonne of torque. It was a blast. My friend rides regularly with his wife, and she loves the ride too.

I highly recommend the road king.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote