Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 06-22-2004, 06:12 AM   #31
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: I am going to rent a Harley, what model should I get?

If you really have a more sport touring oriented trip in mind you should consider the FXDX-T. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2004, 06:29 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Them's fightin' words!

I challenge you to a "wrench off". The mission: complete rebuild of a Shovelhead top end. Including reaming the new wrist pin bushings. Nothing farmed out to any dealer.

The loser is officially a squid.

Now if longride (the other poser squid) will just loan me his Super Glide....
Old 06-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #33
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I break in Harleys for a Rental place in Compton, Ca. They rent 3 models, the Dyna Convertable, Heritage and Sportster. (BTW, after the rented Harleys get 15K on them, the rental place sells 'em off. Wonder why?)

The best one, for my money is the Dyna Convertable. It's the best performance/cruiser bike in the Harley slot. The next would the the Heritage Softail. only because of the weight & goofy handling (like an 800 lb. Cushman). Nice on the freeway, though.

The Sportster's ok for around town, but a masochists delight at anything over 60.

I get to break in BMWs too. Tough job...
Old 06-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #34
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Be prepared for a surprise if you've never ridden a Harley before.

I did what you're going to do. One day I rented a '97 Wide Glide for 3 hrs because as you know they are to cool. My passenger complained that it vibrated so much that at less than 40MPH she couldn't see. The next 3 hr rental was a '96 Road King.

The next rental was that same RK for a weekend in the Ozark and Ouachita mountains in Arkansas. We put on about 800 mi and when we got back I went to my Harley dealer and got on the list. I say the list because at Forman's HD in Stillwater Oklahoma they charge MSRP so I had to wait almost 3 years before I took delivery of my '00 Road King.

Two years later my wife test rode a GL1800 and said, "It feels like a car." So she tried the '01 Road Glide at Americade. After 20 min. the smile stayed with her 'till we got back to Oklahoma and talked with the fine folks at Forman's. Within 8 months she was riding her new '02 Road Glide.

Any opinion I would say about what bike to rent would obviously be prejudiced as you can see. I will say however that I also own a Â’97 Honda ST1100 so I like riding large, heavy bikes that at least act like they have some sporting ability. For two up go with one of the FLs (RK, RG, EG or UG) and you will both be happy I'm sure but for some added fun either the RK or the RG.

Take note however: Before you leave the shop for your extended ride, take a short ride with both of you on the bike, and make sure the suspension is set up properly. You should be able to let go of the bars and the front end won't shake. If the tire pressure is not right or the air suspension isn't set up right for your combined weight and luggage then the bike will handle like crap and you won't be happy.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:42 AM   #35
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Or take it our for a good flat-tracking at El Mirage. They hate it when you bring 'em back filthy...
Old 06-22-2004, 06:44 AM   #36
Tigercub
Founding Member

"I'm not sure I want a big heavy touring model"

They are all big heavy touring models, even the Sportster, which I would not have recommended last year, but his year they are rubberized. It may be just me, but I find Harley's to be kind of small where I'm sitting, but feel rather big and ponderous while riding them. Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Harley and you never have to make any excuses for riding one.

That said, go for the bottom of the line FLT, touring bike. They are really very easy to ride and actually handle quite well. You can have a ball slamming the floorboards into the pavement and never worry about loosing the rearend or the front for that matter. With a Harley you are in for a nice relaxed riding experience.

Oh and mine is more comfortable for the passenger than it is for me. If you try the full zoot FLT both of you can really ride in comfort.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:49 AM   #37
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I did that with a 20 gallon grease drum, welded on the roof of my '51 Nash Ambassador. Ran a piece of garden hose hose down from a gate valve, stuck in bung hole of the drum. When you started to hear those lifters rattling, just turned the valve, and presto. Only used the finest Pep Boys pure as gold reclaimed oil. Could only drive the car on moonless nights, from all the white/blue smoke pouring out the back. Ah, memories...
Old 06-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #38
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't rent a hardly! Rent a goldwing and travel in comfort. Perform Vs. Pose!

This is not recommendable. She would never be quite happy on anything else.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You said Bung Hole.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #40
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Good advice. Typically the touring rigs are set up with zero air pressure in the back shocks. I run about 5 psi solo and about 10 psi with a passenger. Just don't fill 'em up at the local gas station or you'll blow all the hoses.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote