Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-21-2000, 10:01 AM   #1
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Fortune Magazine Recommends Harley

I usually blow off you squids who are too chicken to list who you really are and continually slam Harleys, enough already. They might not be the fastest or best handeling (and certainly not the slowest and pooorest handeling). My Harley has 164,000 miles on it, same engine, tranny, frame. Come to think of it, only things replaced are gaskets, gas, oil, tires and a rear brake set up that simply wore out. Took a 2,000 mile trip on it in September without prepping it because the BMW that was supposed to go had problems and could not make it (bike was fine, something was done TO it to make it not go) . Matter of fact it has out lasted 5 other bikes from other manufacturers that simply could not do what that Harley does, run, every day and NEVER leave me on the side of the road. That's right 164,000 miles and not once left on the side of the road. Can't say that about the other bikes I've owned, any of them.

Now, how many miles are on your rolling POS's? Doubt many of you even ride, just a bunch of wannabees.

Damn, that was better than Prozac, off soap box, back to work.

James Allmond

Macon, Ga

00 K1200LT

88 FLHS/Watsonian (oh yeah, the last 40K are with a sidecar.

51 Servicar

Priors:

71 KZ 100 GT4R

78 Yam 650 Special

80 Yam 500 twin of some sort

81 BMW R65

82 HD FXR

85 BMW R80RT

95 K1100LT

96 R1100RT (2 of them)

bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2000, 10:06 AM   #2
bigjames
Premium Member

Been riding Harleys for years and have not figured those things out yet either. Look like that fringe popping off your arms might sting a littel after a while....hey, might be on to something here...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 10:40 AM   #3
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Personal Observations..

I've been into motorcycling for going on forty years, many spent astride Harley-Davidson products. The relationship/liaison nutured between the dealer and the customer used to be significant... now it seems as though something special died a lingering, diminishing death - most notably over the past fifteen or so years. The bikes were never state of the art, but perhaps best described as good raw material (soul?) for the inner (fill in the blank... frustrated engineer? sheet metal artist? consumate customizer? anti-social rouge? etc.) to express his/her individual two-wheeled passion. It was a time of true individuals and respect for one another, and relishing in our differences. These days things are different - anybody with the price of admission (often inflated beyond MSRP) can join the "club" and partake of the "mystique" and its prescribed trappings... (a standing ovation for the marketing boys who have redefined "lifestyle" as a sales commodity). And as to the relationships between these new "bikers" (rubs?) and the dealers..? Some dealers, by no means all, are currently refered to as "stealerships" by the very customers upon whom continued/repeat business depends. Does this bode well for HD..hhmmm..? I see that some things do not change; HD still is prone to offer models which have not completed that which we would characterize as "beta testing". Twin cam motors seem to eat (roller) cam bearings with disturbing regularity. The TC88B (balanced) motors must be limited to about 5K rpm to preclude damage/failure of the balancer assembly, and suffer the same bearing ills.

At the level of retail pricing involved, these are unacceptable shortcomings.

I've been a motorcycle wrench for most of my life, and largely specialized in big twins... but what I see today in that genre only saddens me. I am not so confident in HD as a company anymore; profitability is not a foregone conclusion as many of the "faithful" would argue. Thus, I have elected to make some adjustments... the HD stock is sold, the Road King is about to be traded/sold, and I've decided I deserve a new GL1800 (in black, of course..) and a '99 CBR1100XX for contrast. Oh, I'll keep the old shovelhead FLH for its nostalgic ambience and its cantankerous demand to be tinkered with (an admittedly theraputic ritual), the wife's '83 ironhead XLX (well, it is hers...), and the pair of Confederate Hellcats because they're just too damn much outrageous fun. But the days of fervent loyalty to any sole marque are well past; maturity tends to mellow the survivors, and eliminate the blind and the gullible.

I did work for HD at one point, and it was, for the most part a fun time... but true creativity and engineering R&D were restricted to a lucky few. I would not be surprised to learn that that attitude still prevails. Alas, what could have been...
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 01:05 PM   #4
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

>> "As for protests, quit and start thinking" <<

AMEN!
Old 12-21-2000, 01:08 PM   #5
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Re: Personal Observations..

The reference to "rubs' wasn't really intended as a criticism, it's actually a label I've never fully understood, but has prevailed sufficiently in colloquial use as to adequately define the newest members of the HD community - and I mean those with little or no other motorcycling experience to speak of... the brand new leather-clad (if you will..) notwithstanding the current occupations. Y'see, those of us who've been around a while, and remember when motorcycling was blatant anti-social behavior and de facto discrimination was prevalent, have a slight problem taking this latest version of the "real biker" quite as seriously as they take themselves...
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 01:54 PM   #6
drynan
Founding Member

when ever a topic like this comes up that mentions Harley, i am prepared for the harley bashing, poser bashing, etc. What infuriates me is the attitude that if you haven't been riding for 50 years, owned 12 different motorcycles, you are a poser or a rub. This is . I've been only riding for 3 years, bought my first Harley last year, not new but a 74 sportster and a 72 basket case, do all my own work, yet since I have only been riding for 3 years, does that make me a poser?
drynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 02:34 PM   #7
caderider
Registered Member

Doesn't it stink?

Everyone is perceived by another person in a different way, always have been, always will be. Nothing we say or do will change that.

Just get out there and ride. That's what it's all about.
Old 12-22-2000, 06:55 AM   #8
drynan
Founding Member

I agree. When I ride, I am so freaking happy just to be free from the daily grind and in the open air that i wave at everybody, follow bikers, people on peddle bikes, kids, dogs, cats,.......
drynan is offline   Reply With Quote