Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 08-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: This should be worth a good flame fest.

Interesting. It's about time they redesigned something. Just kidding. Seriously, if they do it right they could get a whole bunch of us young kids into the H-D clan. If. On the other hand, if they change it up too much, they could end up alienating the old people who are always crying about tradition and so forth. Then again, I didin't hear of too many people whining and selling their motorcycles and vowing to never buy a Harley again when they introduced the V-Rod.

What really has me interested is the new VRSC family bike. I'm sure the redesigned sportsters will be nice enough, but I kind of have a bit of a personal bias against a Harley with the word "sport" in the name. That's not what the bikes are supposed to be about. They're supposed to be about cruising around and stuff, not carving the canyons like the psycho sportbikes.

Whatever happens, I'm sure the old people who always talk about traditions will be happy enough with the new bikes.

P.S. - Was there a point to this post, or did I just want first post for once?

"Remember, it's always easier to do things the hard way. Chango

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
RonXX
Founding Member

New Sportster=Old rusted bicycle with a Home Depot paint shaker bolted to it.

V-Rod model=Same as the old bike, but the engine is mounted upside-down so you can adjust the valves without taking it out of the frame.

First post.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
RonXX
Founding Member

Sorry, second post.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
sarnali
Founding Member

Well good for you Harley, 100 years, while shy of Triumph's 101 years, is still a milestone any company can be proud of

After 46 years the Sporty is due for a re-design, Hopefully they won't ***** it up too bad

My expert prediction is that the V-rod will spin off into a complete line up of cruising, touring and standard type bikes, running concurrant with the TC88,

However beanie-arm-chap-boy's will bail to Yamaha after getting spanked for trying to be 1%.

Harley's will go back to being outlaw bikes, while posers will move on to Warriors and Road Stars.

Those staying with Harley will see that Sporty's are (next to Triumph and Ducati) about the funnest thing you can do with your drawers on and leave heritige softtails in the garage and actually learn to ride without stopping every 15 feet for a beer.

Trailer sales and DWI's will drop, while miles ridden will rise. Harley's will be seen in a new light by sportbike types and global warming will extend the riding season for all

Thats what the bones tell me.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
nomad76
Founding Member

Default Re: Can a real person buy one now?

I can't afford a VRSC model, since I'm not a doctor or lawyer or willing to spend every red cent on American Iron (much as I'd like to, wife won't let me), so I'm really banking (so to speak) on these new Sportsters to get my foot in the door and still like the bike I get.

Maybe if Harley makes a "Sportster" look like something designed in the last couple years instead of a paint-shaker lead-sled done up in late 40s garb with a peanut tank tacked on, they'll actually attract new buyers. We all know the Blast! just don't cut the mustard for most.

Can't wait ...
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

Default New Sporties

Most credible rumor I heard was that the Sporty would get rubber mounts and Buell heads.

Least credible rumors - Softail-type suspension, Buell engine.

How do you start a rumor, anyway? Just say you heard it? I heard the new Sportsters will have a rotary rear damper (Harley engineers ironed out the kinks in the Suzuki setup on the TL1000), RADD front suspension (Harley bought the rights from James Parker), and a fork-mounted streetfighter fairing with projector-beam headlights. Obviously, it's a sign they're going to phase out Buell.

Pass it on.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #7
saaz
Registered Member

Having just read through my copy of Fast Bikes, the original 883 Sporster was actual a fast sports bike in its time. A Sporster with a Vrod motor may restore some respect to the name Sporster.

But I suppose they can't alenate their current market.

saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #8
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Actually...

... the Sportster has already been re-designed. It's called the Buell XB12 Firebolt. That's the philosophical descendent of the original Sportster. Badge it as a Harley Sportster and call it a day.

Then take the new "Sportster" and market it as a "little twin" cruiser. Re-name it the "Astro Glide", since it will ease new Harley purchasers into the experience of taking it up the a$$ from dealers.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:12 PM   #9
xlr8r
Founding Member

I reckon the new Sportster will look just like the old one, as the TC88 looked just like the late Evo's. But it will have rubber mounts and a balanced engine (like the TC88B) and probably injection, though it'll still have a big oval air cleaner. The heads and other engine internals will be similar to, but not the same as, the Buell Firebolt - but you'll still have pushrods to appease the faithful and to get The Look...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:58 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

Ho hum. Wake me when something other than Buell actually happens
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote